Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: On Average

Question On Average

How much does a 6 month old (with good weight) nurse on average? Or if there is an article for this age group, please point me to it. I'm trying to plan our next vacation and I'm trying to get an idea of how much I will have to stop touring in order to feed my baby.

Default Re: On Average

We were nursing every 2-3 hours at that point. He was starting to stretch out one or two feedings a day sometimes to 3-4 hours, but I was amazed that we were still nursing so ofter. I thought lo's nursed less as they got older, and although some probably do, that wasn't really my experience. The good thing is it will be second nature by then and your lo will probably be done fairly quickly.

Stop touring? Why would you need to stop?

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    We were nursing every 2-3 hours at that point. He was starting to stretch out one or two feedings a day sometimes to 3-4 hours, but I was amazed that we were still nursing so ofter. I thought lo's nursed less as they got older, and although some probably do, that wasn't really my experience. The good thing is it will be second nature by then and your lo will probably be done fairly quickly.
    Thank you! So it may slow down just a bit from birth which is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
    Stop touring? Why would you need to stop?
    Good question. We go to WDW every year and we don't want to stop now just because we have a lo. I just need to know what I'm getting into. I won't know where I will be exactly when baby wants to eat, ya know? Vacationing with my DH and my DD who is 11 years old at the moment is so easy, but we're going to have a teeny in the mix and it makes me think "not so easy". Maybe I'm worrying too much about it ???

Breastfeeding in public is another issue that I worry about with all of those people around. I like the idea that one lady gave me on the WDW board. She said that she was able to nurse on the attractions where you sit and ride (like It's a Small World or the Haunted Mansion) and in the theatre shows (The Little Mermaid and the Indiana Jones Stunt Show) which is fine, but if I'm outside standing in the middle of an attraction line, let's say, I don't want to have to get out of line and what not. I'd like to make a schedule or at least have enough bottles made up. Who wants to carry bottles around? Not me so I'd rather know what I could be getting into now so that I can plan out our vacation better. I worry about the parks and the thousands of people inside.

I've read that babies over 4 months usually nurse every 4 hours, but again that the textbook way and all babies are different. I personally fine by 4 month old is hungry every 3 1/2 - 4 hours.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Quote Originally Posted by OnMyWay View Post
    Good question. We go to WDW every year and we don't want to stop now just because we have a lo. I just need to know what I'm getting into. I won't know where I will be exactly when baby wants to eat, ya know? Vacationing with my DH and my DD who is 11 years old at the moment is so easy, but we're going to have a teeny in the mix and it makes me think "not so easy". Maybe I'm worrying too much about it ???

Breastfeeding in public is another issue that I worry about with all of those people around. I like the idea that one lady gave me on the WDW board. She said that she was able to nurse on the attractions where you sit and ride (like It's a Small World or the Haunted Mansion) and in the theatre shows (The Little Mermaid and the Indiana Jones Stunt Show) which is fine, but if I'm outside standing in the middle of an attraction line, let's say, I don't want to have to get out of line and what not. I'd like to make a schedule or at least have enough bottles made up. Who wants to carry bottles around? Not me so I'd rather know what I could be getting into now so that I can plan out our vacation better. I worry about the parks and the thousands of people inside.
    Ah. I see.
    Well, here's what I'll say....
    Nursing in public is really, really not a big deal. Especially at a child-oriented place like that. There will be lots of breastfeeding mothers. And you've likely seen them often, but may or may not have been able to tell they were nursing.
    If you can see my icon pic, I had just nursed my son. He fell asleep on the boob. I had nursed him in the mei tai(the carrier I was wearing) and nothing could be seen. AND I was able to keep moving around and walking and talking and doing what I had been. And no one could see anything. Nursing isn't something that needs to detract from other activities you want to participate in, and especially not something like WDW. And I also caution that feeding EBM all day for days without being able to pump for every missed feeding could wreak havoc on your supply.

Mine are 4 1/2 months, one eats about every 3hrs during the day six times a day and sleeps 12hrs at night. Her sister fits in an extra feeding sometimes during the day, and still eats once at night. If your lo is 6 months you'll probably be pretty comfortable with NIP, if you get used to nursing in one of the infant carriers it will be no problem. I'm at the point now where I don't bother covering beyond what my baby's head covers (nothing shows if you wear a tank top underneath your regular shirt, just pull tank down and shirt up, all that peeps out is your nipple and baby covers that very well), and I can nurse standing up and walking around if I need to.