Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going to the mountain...

Default Going to the mountain...

I am not sure if this is where I should be posting this but I have a dd who is 12 weeks old. Next week we are going to denver and are staying a couple nights up in the mountains. We went last summer as well and I remember being pretty miserable with the lack of humidity they have there. I am from St. Louis, MO where we have tons of humidity. I went on a mad dash for saline solution for my nose and eye drops for my eyes b/c I was so dried out. Do anyone know how to address these same issues for my dd? will she adjust better b/c she is so little or do I need to give her water or will she get enough through me? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Going to the mountain...

Hi! I hope you have a great trip to Denver / the mountains!

The best thing you can do for YOU is drink LOTS of water .... probably more than you think you need. When we have visitors here (I live in Denver) we give them water bottles and make sure that they are constantly drinking.

Your LO does NOT need any supplemental water -
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...aby-water.html she will get all she needs from your breastmilk. I'd be sure to offer to nurse more often (and again - make sure to take care of YOUR hydration needs).

Not sure about the saline drops for your DD's nose ... but I'd guess that it can't hurt and if she's uncomfortable would most likely help.

If you feel headachy with the altitude - staying really well hydrated and taking some advil (ibuprofen) should help.

And - don't forget the sunscreen & hats! We've got alot more intense sunlight here

Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I agree with pp. We vacationed there last year when DS was about the same age and I had to drink a TON! It helped that we stayed in Denver for a night before going on up in the mountains. Have fun and don't forget to take lots of changes of clothes!

Here's a website with some high altitude tips:
    http://www.denver.org/StaticPage.aspx?PN=highalttip
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Are you camping in the mountains? If not, you might consider a humidifier. If so, that wont work, but you might consider boiling water over a stove or something like that, to increase the humidity. Definitely drink lots of water for you...and make sure to nurse on demand, so that your lo is getting enough hydration too. But you definitely don't want to give an exclusively breastfeeding infant additional water, as it can mess with their elecrolyte balance (I believe that link lsksam provided talks about that). The saline drops won't hurt the baby, and Little Noses makes some specially formulated for infants.

HTH and have fun!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thank you for all your suggestions. We will not be camping we will be staying in the a condo for 2 days in Keystone and then go back down to denver for the rest of the trip. I never thought about this but being on a liquid diet definately should keep her hydrated enough. I will chug lots of water while we are there, I will also check and see if the condo has a humidifier and maybe keep that on while we are there. Thanks again for all you great advise!!