Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is blockfeeding working?

Question Is blockfeeding working?

Hi everyone,
    I'm having OALD and OS issues, which are causing my 6 week old baby (who also has reflux ) to have a hard time nursing. I visited a lactation consultant just over 2 weeks ago who suggested that I blockfeed in 6 hour shifts. That has been helping some with spraying and leaking, but I've still got plenty of milk. I'm not engorged very often, but the milk will drip (and occasionally still spray) if given the opportunity.

How long should I continue the 6 hour blocks? I know 6 hours is a long stretch. Should I be doing shorter blocks? longer?

I also wonder about this: the LC told me I could pump a little from the breast that I will be going to next at the end of the other breast's "shift," in order to relieve some discomfort. I'm hoping that this will also help with the force at which milk comes out when LO goes to eat the next time. Should I really be waiting until right before I feed her to pump a little off, or is a couple of hours prior to the next feed not too long to do the trick?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

Default Re: Is blockfeeding working?

I also started with 6 hour blocks. I continued with 6hr blocks until my breast felt very empty at the end of a 6 hour block - and DD did not seem satisfied at the end of that block - then I started to use shorter blocks. Does that make sense?

I think that pumping or expressing a little milk before a feed should only be done if you are really engorged and uncomfortable. If you get in the habit of pumping it could contribute to OS problems. My OALD is not quite as bad now that my supply is a bit more manageable and eventually your LO will get used to and possible like the OALD. DD has started to suck-fuss-suck-fuss until my milk lets down. When I do express milk to releive engorgement I do it whenever I can no longer bear the weight of my milk. I found it difficult to do right before DD wanted to feed because then she was hungry and I was leaving to go express milk. My LO eats every 1.5-2hours. I would think that if you pumped 2 hours before you switched sides that the new side would be full again when your LO was ready to feed. I would think it would be more helpful to express milk closer to when she was going to eat.

But I would really warn not to pump/express unless you are really uncomfortable - because it can compound your OS.

I'm sorry, but I don't remember how old your baby is.

What did the LC recommend as far as how long you should continue the block feeding?

Typically if you are going to "take a little off the top" for the comfort of the baby it is helpful to do it right before the feeding. If you are trying to relieve discomfort, then you can do it when you need to for you own comfort.

Hi Kate-
    My little girl will be 7 weeks old tomorrow. I didn't think to ask the LC about how long I should continue the 6 hr blockfeeding. I guess I could call her, but I thought someone on the board may have a quick answer for me.

My LO is still fussing at some feedings as much as ever. It seems to be the ones on my right breast and usually the feedings between 4 and 8 PM. I don't know if that's just her "fussy" time of day or if that breast makes more milk faster around that time. It doesn't seem to from what I can tell, but I can't see what's going on in her mouth...

During these fussy times, she'll suck for a while, pull off, scream, claw and bat with her little fists and seem flat out miserable. Eventually, she'll tire herself out and quit or I'll switch to her pacifier and she'll drift off to sleep. I don't like this, however, becuase I'm not sure if she's getting enough (or getting hindmilk) at these feedings.

Any thoughts??? I SOOOO appreciate your help and everyone else's!!!
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

How do your breasts feel now? Are you still feeling over-full? Leaking a lot? If your breasts are starting to feel less full, that is a sign that block feeding is working. It can take some time, though. When baby pulls off and gets fussy, does she get sprayed in the face?

Many babies have a fussy time of day during the evening. This is not necessarily related to the oversupply, but oversupply problems do tend to seem worse during baby's fussy period. Pacifiers can sometimes help a baby who is coping with oversupply. It may be that, during this time of day, your baby really needs to suck, but is not actually hungry. When her sucking efforts are rewarded with a strong letdown, she gets angry. Pacifiers are not normally recommend by LLL because they can cause problems with breastfeeding such as nipple confusion, breast refusal, and low milk supply. However, in an oversupply situation with a truly miserable baby who wants to suck, some moms find them to be a useful tool, as long as they are used judiciously. HTH.

Hang in there,

Tiana