Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: If I'm still having problems BFing at 5 1/2 mos, do you think I always will?

Default If I'm still having problems BFing at 5 1/2 mos, do you think I always will?

DD never had the best latch. And I really tried to correct it -- with the help of two LCs -- but haven't gotten a better latch. Her two bottom teeth came in about a month ago, and I really think they're further affecting her latch. I swear I feel a pinch where her teeth are, but I know that theoretically she can't be biting if she's sucking. (And she's sucking, and drinking lots of milk.) So I've been dealing with this uncomfortable pinch that grew to be painful. Last night, after nursing, one nipple developed a nasty friction blister that's almost as big as my nipple. So today I've been pumping only and giving her a bottle.

When I break her latch and try again, I can get her mouth wide open, but she'll pull her head back and place her mouth where she wants it. I'm afraid to break the latch too many times because she has teeth now that can bite me if she becomes annoyed!

My question is ... I've seen 2 LCs that haven't been a help. And DD is almost 6 months. Do you think I can still change her latch, or is it what it is?

Default Re: If I'm still having problems BFing at 5 1/2 mos, do you think I always will?

It's definitly possible. A friend of mine experienced bad latch for the first YEAR of her child's life, and she finally corrected it.

Default Re: If I'm still having problems BFing at 5 1/2 mos, do you think I always will?

I'd LOVE to hear how she fixed the latch.

Quote Originally Posted by Phia
    When I break her latch and try again, I can get her mouth wide open, but she'll pull her head back and place her mouth where she wants it.
    I have the same problem with DS. He's three months and has been doing this for a few weeks now. I thought it was supposed to get easier with better head control, but it looks like he's only got more control to do what he feels like. And what he feels like isn't latching well. My nipples are allways a little tender. I've chalked it up to fair and sensitive skin and figure they'll be pink until I wean. I'd love for him to start latching better, but haven't been able to figure out how.

Smile Re: If I'm still having problems BFing at 5 1/2 mos, do you think I always will?

I have the same exact problem with latch on with my baby. Problem is that I am in India where there is one LLL leader, in the whole country, its just possible for me talk with her on the phone.
    Whenever I've posed this problem on the net, the answer is that the latch cannot be corrected at this stage (my baby has just turned 7 months). However I keep trying and when she is really hungry she does seem to open wide. Otherwise she'll slide off and peck at it!
    I am really enthused to learn that it can be done, but I'll probably just have to keep trying myself because there is no help here.

Wow, that sounds incredibly irritating even when it's not downright painful, which it clearly often is.

Big kudos to you for breastfeeding despite this ongoing latch problem! You must be a very strong and determined momma!

If you say you feel her teeth, I'm inclined to believe you. So this would indicate that even with her mouth open wide, her tongue isn't sticking out far enough.

Has she ever been evaluated for tongue-tie?

--Rebecca

Is her tongue visible while nursing? It should be riding right where the lower lip is, if you moved the lower lip you should see it. If she sticks her tongue out does it make a heart shape? Or something even close? She could be tongue tied. My son was, and we nursed through it (we didn't even know it until about 1 month ago...he is now 3.5!). It did pose a problem as he got older, I could always feel his teeth, and I weaned before he was ready because I could not take it anymore, he was almost 2.

Keep up the good work! It can work out! Do you have any breastfeeding support groups at local hospitals? If you are not sure, call the maternity centers there. We have a great one where I am, it is M-F with LC's to help, along with other mothers!

Good luck!

Sarah

When we're not nursing, she sticks her tongue out and it looks like my tongue when I stick it out. And both LCs I saw say she doesn't have a tongue tie problem. One LC said she may have a high palette, but as DD grows that *should* become less of a problem as she can open her mouth wider.

But I'm with the previous poster with the head control comment. SInce DD is stronger, she dives for my breast if I try to keep her at a distance while getting our position right.

It's very frustrating.

Right now I've got a cotton ball soaked in olive oil in my bra on the blister. Hopefully that will help soften it so I can open it up with the pump.

I'm pretty frustrated with LCs and my doctor. It doesn't seem anyone can help. And my BF mommy friends have said it's probably too late to change it. I just wanted to see if that's true.

I'm trying to get to 6 months. We're almost there. Then I'll *try* to get to 9 months with hopes that she'll sleep through the night soon, giving my nipples a long night break. And after 9 months, I think solids will become more of her mainstay.

This really is frustrating and painful and I wonder if it's time to stop and I'm just too stubborn to realize it.

DD will take EBM from a bottle with no problems ... except a little gas.