Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 days PP and still no milk

Default 8 days PP and still no milk

DD was born last Saturday June 2 and I still have no milk! I pumped in the hospital and am pumping (not regularly since it's too frustrating) at home but still nothing. The other night I got about 1/2 ounce between both breasts of something, maybe colostrum, but since then, just drops here and there. I'm pumping for 20 minutes and it's very very disheartening. I feel like I can't provide for my little girl. I would think my milk would be here by now. I had a c-section and have been pretty stressed about my recovery this week so maybe that has something to do with it...

Default Re: 8 days PP and still no milk

1st of congrats on your new baby!

Don't judge a pump by how much milk you have. A baby is much more effective at getting milk out then a pump is. Also 1/2oz is pretty good! Remember baby's tummy is tiny. Is baby nursing or are you just pumping? I would try putting the baby to the breast often. At least every 2 hours possibly more. My milk didn't come in til about day 7 with my 1st.

Here is a good article
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html

Can you tell us more about the type of pump you are using?

i am using the medela pump in style. i got under 1/2 ounce once and since then, just drops.

the more you pump the more milk your going to make.
    is the baby nursing any at the breast?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

heres a link about getting a good supply when the baby isn't nursing

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

I have read that a c section and blood loss can sometimes effect your supply. However 8 days pp is still within range for waiting for your milk to come in. Are you nursing on demand? If you pump, try and pump for around ten minutes each side every two to three hours if you aren't nursing. I agree that placing your baby to your breast is the best thing you can do. Skin on skin contact is good for both mother and child. It will increase your levels of Prolactin, which is needed for milk production. It will also increase your baby's desire to suckle which in turn will boost the colostrum and transitional milk you make.
    Keep an eye on your baby's diapers, its the best way to measure whats going into your baby. If you use disposable diapers aim for around 5-6 wet diapers in 24 hours.
    Also, despite how stressful this time is for you, do your best to keep your stress levels at a minimum as exhaustion, not eating and stressing will all make it tougher for your body.