Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long does it take Gentian Violet to Work?

Default How long does it take Gentian Violet to Work?

I unfortunately now have to join the club of mothers fighting thrush. I started using GV 4 days ago and do not see any results as of yet. In your experiences, how long does it take for the white coating on the tongue to go away? How do I know if it is working or not?

Default Re: How long does it take Gentian Violet to Work?

Are you sure it is thrush? Does your baby drink formula at all? Thrush can be a white tounge, but white patches on the inside of the cheeks may be a better indication. You might want to check with your Ped. to be sure.

Yes, thrush has been confirmed by Lactation Consultant. Any info on how long it takes Gentian Violet to work?

How often are you using the GV? I have battled thrush twice. Both times DDs tongue/lips improved after 24 hours. It always made my breasts feel better instantly. I painted her mouth and lips and my breasts at 7am and 7pm. We only used GV for 4 days max both times. I caught the thrush really early in both cases so maybe if you have more yeast it will take longer? The GV info I have ready suggests taking a break after 3-5 days of GV because it is strong. So use it for 3-5days, rest 2 days, use it again 3-5 days.

As PPs suggested, maybe it isn't thrush? I thought DDs thrush was coming back but her Ped said her white tongue was just coated with milk.

Have you also washed your bras/breast pads in very hot water and boiled anything that comes in contact with LOs mouth for 20 min/day? Washing your nipples with vinegar after each feeding...

Here is some GV info:
    From Dr Sears
    kellymom
    And a previous thrush thread that discusses GV

Thanks for the help!