Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: plugged duct? (ouch)

Default plugged duct? (ouch)

I think I have a plugged duct. Not sure. Help? It is just my left breast, and I get sharp pains on the upper side of the breast, by my arm. I've been trying to massage it. My LO eats pretty often in the evenings (once an hr or two) but takes a long-ish nap in the morning and then sleeps good at night. The pains only started yesterday. (LO is almost 2 mos old now) Last night - I fed him one hr and then again an hr later. Then I pumped for 10 min and then laid with a heating pad on both my breasts for a bit . . .then went to bed and slept for about 6 hrs. I think that helped. I'm trying to pump after I feed him but if we are out and about - that is hard to do. Help on relieving this pain? And how did this even happen to begin with? (thanks in advance!)

Default Re: plugged duct? (ouch)

I had a plugged duct once. On the breast that has the problem is there a white dot on your nipple? You may notice it better after nursing. Your breast would be hard in the area of the plug (it's engored). To get rid of the plug it is best to use nursing to your advantage. Try to put the baby's bottom jaw against the plugged area (some people have mentioned putting baby on the floor and nursing upsidedown if that's what was needed.) You can massage the hard area as well. You can use a warm wet washcloth to wipe the nipple as well. It's going to be uncomfortable the nurse until you get it open.

Sorry, I don't know what causes it. Good luck!

If it's not a plugged duct (engored in the one area) it may be thrush (causes stabbing pain deeper in the breast).

I had a plugged duct not long ago, and what worked for me was lots of nursing and soaking in the bathtub in water as hot as I could stand. I would lie on my stomach and target the sorest part of my breast (near the underarm too), then massage above the duct. I repeated this several times per bath, then either nursed or pumped immediately after my bath. I did this for several days. I also nursed first on that side each time (it was painful enough that I didn't care if I was lopsided for a few days ) and it worked. I could tell the duct cleared because I had my normal number of milk streams from that breast again, but don't be surprised if you have a sore, kind of bruised feeling for several days or so after it clears.

What worked for me was soaking it in hot water, massaging (pressing as hard as I could stand), drinking extra extra water, and pumping. I massaged as I pumped (on highest power) and the streams finally "burst" through. I was sore afterwards but not in pain like I was.
    Good luck!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

heres some good info about plugged duct