Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple confusion?

Question Nipple confusion?

How can you tell if your baby has nipple confusion? My lo was nursing well until the last few weeks. She is 4mos and will only nurse for 5-7min total time. She nurses about every 3hrs in the day ( since I have been all over try to keep her eating for the last week ) and 1-2x's at night. It's hard for me to tell how her diapers are. I'm pretty sure they are OK. I'm just wondering since I give her a pacifier if she may have some kind of nipple confusion.She will nurse those few mins and then act like she wants to continue to nurse, but will fuss until I give her the pacifer. Why won't she pacify on the breast? I really think she wants more but is too impatient for me to let down more that once. But if she is happy getting nothing from the pacifier, why not just pacify on the breast? I can't tell if her suck is correct... she will nurse on my left side for about 5 min and if I'm lucky I can get her to nurse on the right side for 1-2min....sometimes a bit longer. She does this thing...pushes my breast while she is nursing and this causes her to "pop off". Her "top" arm is pushing straight out. Also...what makes them prefer one side over the other? She never played favorites in the beginning. I sure hope my questions make sense.
    Last edited by MommyF; June 10th, 2007 at 10:05 AM. Reason: claify nursing situation

Default Re: Nipple confusion?

I don't think preferring the pacifier for comfort is nipple confusion. Preferring the bottle over the breast is what nipple confusion is. If she is gaining weight well then I don't think how long she nurses is a problem. Maybe she just got efficient. Also at 4 months they get interested in the environment and can't lose a minute at the breast instead of looking around and she can look around with a pacifier in her mouth right . It'll probably pass at some point. Until then I will suggest just watch the weight.

Nipple confusion is actually when they have a hard time switching back and forth between artificial and real nipples, and it affects their latch. It sounds like you have OALD from what you've said. That's probably the preference of 1 side over the other - 1 side is a faster flow than the other. Your LO may also have some reflux, which the pacifier sucking is helping (helps them to swallow the stomach acid back down and alleviates the pain. HTH

The artificial nipple on the pacifier is what I'm concerned about....I'm not sure if she is sucking well enough to eat sufficiently. How does OALD behave? I don't have trouble with her coming off with spurting milk..she just pushes on me and pops off. Baby doesn't have a problem with spitting up or anything. I'm still trying to count diapers because they don't seem very wet and she is probably only having 4-5 disposables that have maybe 2-4Tof pee. Her weight gain hasn't been an issue in the past, but neither has the nursing...only the last several days..she isn't due into the Pedi for 1.5mos)
    Last edited by MommyF; June 10th, 2007 at 01:45 PM. Reason: just adding info

It may not be. I just thought with your LO was fighting at the breast, and nursing so quickly that maybe it was the case. It may just be the age too - practicing those new skills! We introduced a paci for our LO when she was a few weeks old due to reflux, and to this day, she will only comfort suck that thing, not mama. So maybe your LO is just as finicky as mine! You probably do have 1 side that is faster than the other though. I think that's actually pretty common.

I don't know...I think I've had OALD with my first baby because of the things I described before, but I'm not having those at this point....you think the pushing thing would be because of letdown? Any how...thanks for your help...I'll look up OALD on kellymom.