Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this STILL thrush?

Default Is this STILL thrush?

I'm nursing twins and we all got thrush when they were 2 months old, 1 1/2 months ago. Treated them with nystatin, me with lotrimin. Came back, treated me with single dose diflucan, them with nystatin. Came back, treated me with 15 days diflucan. Came back, treated all of us with gentian violet. One twin started antibiotics for ear infection and got a yeasty diaper rash, and the pain came back on her breast. Tried gentian violet again but did 2 days not 3 b/c it was burning me and lo didn't like the taste. Now I've been using APNC for 2 days and no better, pain seems to radiate all through my breast now. Nipple doesn't look bad, has some small white "pustules" on the aerola, but not the way I've heard yeast described. I've gone to a general practitioner and lactation consultant, have an appt with a GYN tomorrow, but considering going to a dermatologist. LO to whom the breast belongs seems to be teething too. Does ANYONE know what could be going on here? I don't consider weaning an option but I'm getting really depressed thinking I'm going to be in pain for another year!

Default Re: Is this STILL thrush?

All of you need to be treated simultaneously. You need to be on 2 weeks of Diflucan and use Nystatin cream topically during that time as well. Your babies need two weeks of Nystatin liquid.
    It sounds like you are all bouncing this back and forth to each other, and that can drag it out indefinitely.
    I would also add probiotics to your regimen, and liquid probiotics for the baby who took antibiotics.

I second pp with all of you getting treated at the same time. We kept bouncing back and forth and all three of us fought thrush for 4 months. Also, I found that on top of everything, wiping down with vinegar also helped (after nursing but before putting on the cream). Also make sure that anything that is comming into contact with the twins mouths is being sterilized (toys, pacifiers, etc).

Good Luck
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

We've all been treated at the same time at least 3 times now, along with disinfecting everything that touches my breasts or their mouths every day. I don't know what could survive two rounds of gentian violet! My LC is pretty convinced that it's not thrush at this point. I talked to her today and she feels that the deep pain I'm having may be from some very deep blocked ducts, the white points on my nipples are forming because the milk can't get out, causing the nipple pain with nursing. I did suspect blocked ducts b/c the pain is throbbing and deep rather than shooting fire like when I first had thrush, and the only relief I've had is when I used a heating pad on Sat. So on to treatment for blocked ducts...