Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to pump or not to pump?

Default to pump or not to pump?

hi everyone,
    i am new to this forum and have been learning so much from all of you ladies!

i am a 1st time mom to be, and my son is due in september.

i run a business out of my home office - therefore i guess i will be considered a SAHM.

if i plan on breastfeeding for 1-2 years, and i don't have my son in daycare or anyone else watching him other than my husband - and he is rarely home when i'm NOT home (since i live and work here! HAHA), what are the chances that I will need to buy/register for a manual or electric pump?

i really don't want to pump unless i have to - and if i am always there to feed my baby - is it necessary to pump and then feed him w/ a bottle?

or is it ok to always nurse him directly?

i don't know if my question makes sense, but basically, am i being too unrealistic to think that I can nurse my baby for 1 year without pumping?

Default Re: to pump or not to pump?

You might consider a hand pump just incase you want to go out for a romantic dinner You do not need an electric pump =) Heck you can even hand express for a bottle if you need to!

Thanks for the reply!

Any recommendations for manual (but effective) pumps?

Thanks again-

I personally use a Medela Harmony (I think its harmony anyway... it is their manual pump) might want to check with your hospital as well - mine actually gave me the pump, I was quite surprised =) It takes a little to get used to pumping - but once you get it down - it is easy!

I only pumped at first with my first baby because I didn't know any better, dumped all that milk (!) because we didn't use bottles but I thought that pumping was supposed to be part of breastfeeding and what I should do, thinking I needed to build supply (turned into oversupply and engorgement) blah blah blah. I stopped pumping after the first few weeks when I learned what I was doing was causing all these problems and wasting a lot of my time, effort and milk. I nursed that child for nearly two years!

I did not pump with my new baby until he was about 14 weeks old and had to start leaving him with a sitter once a week. I only pump with this baby because I'm out of the home one morning a week to work a few hours. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it. I hate pumping, and I go out of my way to minimize how much I have to pump because I really don't care for it. Nursing at the breast is just much, much easier I have a little hand pump that works well for me.

So, no, you are not being unrealistic. It is very do-able to do without a pump. If not, then how do women all over the world work and breastfeed ?

For an evening out (we don't go out often, but you might want to) we take the kids and sitter along. But I do have a stash frozen just in case something were to happen to me and interrupt the supply.

I would not spend the money on, or even register for a pump. You might not need it. If you find you need one, you can always send DH to the store to pick up one -- just send a photo and brand name with him, and make him take his cell phone . There's ways of dealing with engorgement, should you experience that, that do not require anything other than your hands, that hanging out here you'll learn. . . You'll be a lot more prepared than I was
    Last edited by IansMommy; June 9th, 2007 at 03:37 PM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I just want to leave a suggestion for a manual pump, I really liked the Dr. Brown's pump. Mine broke though after about 3 weeks but that was because I was pumping for all of his meals and was probably really rough on it, I was getting 4 oz out in like 10-15 mins haha. But if your only pumping occasionally I'm sure it would be a great pump. I miss it sometimes now.

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I would recommend the Medela hand pump. I second the pp who said you might want one for a night out. My hospital gave me my hand pump and I like it more than my electric.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

i suggest you wait until you give birth before you decide what to get. i had a low milk supply and bought the pump-in-style (which wasworth every penny). you really wouldn't know what is appropriate for you until your DS/DD is born. goodluck!

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Thanks for all of your feedback - you have been SO helpful!

If you plan to always be there, you don't need a pump. Some women have good luck with hand expression if they need expressed milk occasionally, too.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!