Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Barium swallow test?? Dairy intolerance?

Default Barium swallow test?? Dairy intolerance?

My Pediatrician's office was a joke, so I brought dd to another doctor yesterday. He listened to my concerns and wants to do a Barium Swallow Test to evaluate dd's suck/swallow to rule out a problem. Have any of you out there ever done this test with your baby, and would you recommend it? Especially if they're EBF and have to drink the Barium from a bottle?

Also looking for any info/experiences with Dairy protein intolerance...DD is VERY gassy and vomits often, so I'm wondering if this could be a problem. I am restricting dairy from my diet starting today just to see if it makes a difference at all.

Default Re: Barium swallow test?? Dairy intolerance?

What I can tell you, mama, is I had a doc also wanting to do this and I opted out and did the elimination diet first. I was off obvious dairy for about 3-4 weeks before I really noticed a difference. THen I remained off all dairy (even hidden ) for a few more months... slowly added hidden back in and just recently (after 7+ mo) am able to pretty much have whatever I want!
    (in addition to the dairy, I had to eliminate corn and wheat for a few months as well.)

You can do it. you'll get a lot of ideas and support here, for sure. I know I did

oh and welcome to the LLL boards
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks for the encouragement! Can I ask what symptoms your LO had that led you to eliminate dairy? And how did you know to eliminate corn and wheat as well?

I too would opt to try an elimination diet too if you can, just because I have had to swallow Barium as an adult and it is one of the worst things I have ever been through. I wouldn't want to put my child through it unless it is absolutely neccesary. We have an allergy forum here where you will find all kinds of information and support. I would start there, read some of the stickies, and visit www.godairyfree.com Let us know if you have any more questions. And to answer for Eme (above) corn and wheat are part of the top 8 common allergies as well as soy, eggs, peanuts and all other tree nuts, shellfish and dairy of course. Some people with severe allergic infants eliminate the top 8 standard. But if you just suspect a dairy allergy, start there. If you don't see improvement, you can move down the list. Make sense? Sort of? Basically if you suspect something other than milk, it is most likely one of these top allergens or something you eat a whole lot of, or both. Right now if your daughter is suffering from a milk allergy, it means that her digestive track has been damaged so I would watch what you eat until you figure it out. As well as eliminating milk, just limit your quantities of the top 8 (and NO nuts at all), and what I most recommend is rotating what you do eat, every few days. More about that if you want to know, or you can do a search on rotation diets. Of course your LO might not be showing as serious symptoms as some of us moms who have to do this, but a little work now might save you a LOT of pain later on. HTH!
    Last edited by sweetiejo5; June 9th, 2007 at 02:28 PM.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Hi again ... Misty added some great info too I also suggest visiting the allergy forum (which I thought this was in ) for more info/help...

But on to what you asked me. My son spit up often. ANd by often I mean almost every meal. He had periods of sudden (though short <2 min.) screaming fits, and would hate to get changed and would gulp and gasp the whole time. It was so sad to watch. There were nights where he'd wake up gasping for air as if he had been held underwater (thats the only way I can describe it) and was trying to catch his breath and had foamy spit all around his mouth! I will never forget those nights I was so frightened!!! He had the hiccups constantly and they seemed forceful and painful. He also had a rash on his face that every one called 'baby acne' that I just didnt feel was within what would be resonable. After he was about 4-5 wks old he got a rash all over his body and that prompted me to start looking stuff up. Oh yes, and his diapers. THey were the most foul thing I had ever seen green and frothy and mucousy and occasionaly blood streaks - oh boy!!!! I figured out the frothy/green was most likely due to OALD and Oversupply, but the mucous issue was another story. I obsessed over his diapers for weeks

I got tired of all of it and after lots of footwork on my part and trips to a few docs, I came to realize I had to eliminate stuff out of my diet. Dairy was first as it's the most common offender, and I ate a LOT of it It was clear he had reflux as well and he was on meds for about 1 weeks and I slowly stopped giving him that as well as I was treating his symptoms well with the things I was doing without it. Things like keeping them upright for at least 30 minutes after feeding and other stuff.

After I had taken out the dairy we noted his stuffyness that was also occuring at night was due to the night I ate corn on the cob and the wheat was hard to figure out but there were certain things I could have a lot of. I think thats the basics of it for us...

Hope this give you a little more info. good luck

it's been a long road, but oh so worth it!

Here a link that may prove helpful for you to start with:

Dairy sensitivities
    Last edited by Number3; June 10th, 2007 at 12:43 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

dr sears has some great info on his web site also.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T106000.asp
    I would ask the doctor what the treatment would be if baby did get the test and maybe you can just skip the test and see if that treatment helps.
    there some good info on LLL web site about gerd.

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVFebMar03p12.html
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/ger.html