Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: i am going to be brave

Default i am going to be brave

DS seems to be doing well after the jaundice incident. His weight now is 6.13, higher than his birth weight (he willbe 2wks on tues). I have decided to stop supplemeting and just rely on nursing alone. Wish us the best!

Question, is it ok to nurse him as long as he wants? i notice that he gets fussy now if i take him out of my breast when he is in a "pacifier' mode. does that mean he is still hungry?

i hope this is a right decision.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Default Re: i am going to be brave

Babies nurse for other reasons besides hunger. Its how they feel secure and loved. It is completely ok to nurse your baby as long as you want.
    Some of the reason your baby probably wants to nurse constantly is that you are coming up on your first growth spurt (roughly 3 weeks). Nursing on demand will help you both get to know each other, and it will make your milk supply increase so that it is completely intune with the needs of your child.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Babies nurse for other reasons besides hunger. Its how they feel secure and loved. It is completely ok to nurse your baby as long as you want.
    Some of the reason your baby probably wants to nurse constantly is that you are coming up on your first growth spurt (roughly 3 weeks). Nursing on demand will help you both get to know each other, and it will make your milk supply increase so that it is completely intune with the needs of your child.

ITA!! That 3 week and 6 week growth spurt will push you to your limits. I just knew I wasn't making enought for AJ. He will nurse as long as he needs to get your body making the milk he needs. Best of luck with cutting out the supplements. You can do it mama, we'll be cheering you on!!!!

Go mama!!!

DS woke up after 2 hrs crying! i guess he really was hungry. he nursed for an hour (i am so thirsty and hungry now), so i hope i satisfied him. with the formula as supplement he can last between 3- 4 hrs. i won't mind waking up and nursing him every 2 hrs as long as it can help with my milk supply. can't wait for his doctor's appt on tues and see if he has gained more weight.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Breast milk is so much easier for baby’s tummies so eating more frequently is normal, it does get easier. Breastfeeding really is a relationship that has ups and downs. The formula does tend to keep them quiet a little longer because it is more of a challenge to digest it. Plus I have read somewhere, can’t remember where that babies wake frequently in the beginning and it helps with ward off SIDS (because they are woken from deep sleep). You’re doing a great job! Hang in there mama!!

I totally agree with the pp. Breastmilk is sooo much easier to digest for their little tummies! DS loved to feed constantly at three weeks and six weeks. If you don't have a wrap or a sling, try one. I wish that I had discovered them then.

Proud of you for going for it!

You can do it!!!

Keep up the good work.
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

thanks for the encouragement! i noticed his suctions has also become stronger. He has wet diapers every feeding and a poop every other feeding. i guess his being fed well. i hope.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay