Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Awful nursing habits

Default Awful nursing habits

My daughter is 7 months old, and her habits while nursing are driving me nuts. At first she would pinch and scratch the top of my breasts to the point where they bruised, so I took to holding her hand. But now instead of doing that, she pinches the back of my arm with her other hand. And I mean she pinches it quickly, unexpectedly, and HARD to the point where I involuntarily cry out and pull her off. Then she starts to cry and often refuses to latch back on after I try to calm her down.

I was thinking I'd have to try to hold both her arms, but I can't seem to find a position where I can do that. Short of a baby straitjacket, what kind of options do I have? What would you try if you were me?

Frustrated!!!!

Default Re: Awful nursing habits

Have you tried a nursing necklace? These are necklaces made for the mom to wear while nursing and the baby can play with them. I know it can be hard. I have a distracted 8 month old! Also do you try to nurse in a quiet dark room?

if you can lay down...
    i put my baby's bottom arm in front of him when we lay down, then he cant pinch the back of my arm...
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

Nursing necklace. QUICK!

Way too lazy for formula

My baby does the same thing. I put a burp cloth/blanket between my body and the baby. I direct her to squeeze the cloth instead of me. It is working!