Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cant keep up

Default Re: Cant keep up

I guess hes not done after all

You poor thing! I am so sorry you are going through this!

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Big , hon. Four days and counting is a LONG time for such a little one to be sick. You must be exhausted and half out of your mind with worry. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Thank you for the answers in your reply to me. From what you wrote, I gather that Dylan was born about 7 weeks ago at 33 weeks gestation; that he had an initial weight loss of about 2 pounds; that by the age of about 5 weeks (not adjusted) he weighed almost 10.5 pounds. This is a really impressive weight gain (more than a pound a week!), so you can be reassured that despite his frequent spitting up (before he started vomiting 4 days ago, I mean), he was getting plenty of milk and keeping enough down to thrive and grow.

At what point was Dylan able to breastfeed exclusively, with no supplemental feeds of either formula or EBM? I don't know enough about premie feeding and growth issues to even know what to do with the answer to that question; I'm just throwing it out there to try to get a better grasp of your history.

He's been pooping very infrequently for about the past week, and he's been vomiting for the past 4 days. The infrequent pooping isn't necessarily a problem if he has been exclusively breastfed all this time. Exclusively breastfed infants often do start going days between poops at some point.

How many wet diapers has he made in the past 24 hours?

Again, if your momma radar is telling you that something is seriously wrong -- call his doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Rebecca View Post
    Big , hon. Four days and counting is a LONG time for such a little one to be sick. You must be exhausted and half out of your mind with worry. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Thank you for the answers in your reply to me. From what you wrote, I gather that Dylan was born about 7 weeks ago at 33 weeks gestation; that he had an initial weight loss of about 2 pounds; that by the age of about 5 weeks (not adjusted) he weighed almost 10.5 pounds.
    sounds right..

At what point was Dylan able to breastfeed exclusively, with no supplemental feeds of either formula or EBM?
    he isnt-still gets ebm bottles because he has the bad latching skills,and the respiration issues.he still has thrush which does not help.and he will probably need to always take 1 bottle a day for his medicine for a while.

He's been pooping very infrequently for about the past week, and he's been vomiting for the past 4 days. The infrequent pooping isn't necessarily a problem if he has been exclusively breastfed all this time. Exclusively breastfed infants often do start going days between poops at some point.
    he was on a few different supplemental formulas, but was allergic or sensitive to all of them
    Does that change in the poop happen gradual?Could he just want to poop,and not need to?

How many wet diapers has he made in the past 24 hours?
    average.pees pretty frequently.
    Again, if your momma radar is telling you that something is seriously wrong -- call his doctor.
    I think hes starting to feel better.I get so scared with him because everything that should be mior blows up into crazy things.

added question:If I ate more fiber would he poop better
    Last edited by babydsmommy; June 10th, 2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: adding a question

I have maybe been getting milk in my vitamin.I have to look into that.That could be the problem if it isnt the flu

That sounds like reflux, I would call your doc.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

goodmorning! just wanted to know how you and baby dylan doing today? hope he's better.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by MommyLuvsU View Post
    That sounds like reflux, I would call your doc.
    spitup is reflux.spitup is supposedly the effortless regurgatation of recently entering liquids.throw up is throwup.it smells different because their stomach juice in it or something..i dont really know how my doc explained it.but he has reflux, and this is different.i dont mind being soaked in spitup.it doesnt bother him doing it, and short of the laundry,its not that bad.this bothers him.he wrenches and makes awful noises and cries.

Quote Originally Posted by cecilia View Post
    goodmorning! just wanted to know how you and baby dylan doing today? hope he's better.
    morning!
    he seems out of it (but not enough to really sleep yet) and hasnt puked since late last night.he had a lot of kangaroo time, and he was actually able to latch this morning; so hey, maybe something good is going to come out of this.he's also probably raised the supply a little (i hope) which would also be good

Sounds like dyl has a virus. We went through a bout where one than the other had a virus and had tons of puke. It is a little different from the reflux spit up as it has much more volume. What the dr & lc told me is when they throw up, wait 30 minutes than nurse for 5, if that stays down for 10 min, and they are awake nurse for 10 min wait 30. If that stays down try nursing again in 30 min. If it still stays down, go back to your regular nursing. Otherwise start over after the next puking. (By the end of the night, both dh, both twins, and myself were covered in puke). It is hard, but stick with it. According to the kids GI dr, the absolute best thing is BM, don't supplement unless you absolutely have to. These things pass, even though it does not seem like it at the time.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo