Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cant keep up

Default Cant keep up

He is seriously spitting up half of everything he eats, and if he doesnt, he pukes later....I def dont have the supply for this.Any ideas?Will it be there for him even if this isnt normal eating?

Default Re: Cant keep up

How old is he? How long has he been doing this? Have you talked to the doctor? DD did that a lot her first couple of months. It seemed like everything she ate came right back up. I started to have to burp her every couple of minutes & that helped a lot. Now she never spits/throws up (knock on wood!).

As long as he is taking milk out of your breast, your supply should be good when things calm down.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

How many wet diapers is your baby having in a 24 hour period? You can tell if your baby is retaining enough milk by the amount of wet diapers you see. Sometimes the spit up looks like more than it is.
    Does you baby arch away from the breast, or look like he's in pain? Check under reflux.
    Does he make clicking noises when eating? Check to see if you have over active let down ( oald), this can make the baby swallow more air as it gulps milk.
    So I would also like to remind you that LLL meetings are free, and can help diagnose and resolve many matters that arise during breastfeeding. Look up your local leader.

he DOES have a diagnosed reflux condition, but this isnt just spitting up- its curdles and smelly liquid.his dr just said that that was vomit and spitup was spit up and I should keep track of it.
    he is SICK.The doctor said itll pass, take him in if he regains fever,etc..but thats not my question. I just want to know if (since this is obviously new and temporary ) my body will make enough to accomodate this. My dr had offered a milk script..which is odd bcuz I dont even know where youd fill that, and I turned it down...Now Im seriously scared I shouldnt have...

Your supply will be fine as long as he is eating. I know that my DS was allergic to the milk protien and I had to cut out dairy till just here recently. He too would vomit the curdled milk substance and it didn't start taking place until about 4-6 weeks in I think. Your body will keep making milk as long as he is nursing. Watch his output. You're watching for 4-6 wet diapers in 24 hours. That's the best way to know if he is in fact eating enough or if he is becoming dehydrated. HTH, and keep us posted.

My daughter used to spit up explosively at least once per feed. I know people always say to pour a teaspoon of liquid out and remind yourself that that is about how much most spit-ups are... but they didn't know my dd! She would soak herself, soak me (I gave up wearing clothes for weeks on end because it was too hard to change all the time), soak the boppy and the blanket... all with one mighty blast. At the same time, she was gaining a pound a week on nothing but mama's milk. I discovered I had OALD and possibly (!) oversupply, and worked on coping with those. She never ran short of milk.

I know that sounds kind of rambing and silly, but I know you can do it. Dylan is sick and needs his mommy, and you CAN provide for him. and hope he feels better!
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

i'm sorry to hear that your DS is sick. does hehave a stomach virus? if it is, it usually goes away in 3- 5 days. my son had that when he was 6months old and was adviced not to give him milk until his tummy settled (no vomitting). he only took water and pedialyte (in small amounts until his stomach is able to sustain it). i hope he gets well soon.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Babydylansmommy, you sound really worried about your son's frequent spitting up/vomiting. It can be scary when our little ones get sick. I'm glad you posted here to find accurate information about how to care for him and protect your breastfeeding relationship.

How old is Dylan? I see from your sig that he is a premie -- when was he born and at what gestational age? What was his birth weight? What and when was his most recent weight check?

When did the vomiting/illness start?

I want to reassure you that your milk supply WILL keep up if Dylan is able to nurse well and has free access to the breast. The most immediate danger with vomiting is dehydration. Keep watching those diapers. If there is a drop in frequency (below ~6 good wets in a 24-hour period), or if his urine becomes dark yellow or light brown in color, then you will know that he is not getting (or keeping down) enough breastmilk to stay hydrated. If this happens, call his doctor immediately.

If this is a stomach virus with frequent vomiting and/or diarrhea, there is no need to replace breastmilk with other liquids during the illness. Breastmilk is classified as a "clear fluid" b/c it is so quickly digested. Plus, breastmilk has the antibodies that will help support Dylan's immune system as it fights off whatever bug is causing these symptoms. Last, a breastfed baby is going to find much more comfort at his momma's breast than from a bottle when he feels sick and crummy. Breastfeeding is a powerful nurturing tool, and never more so than when a child is ill.

With a usually healthy and strong full-term infant, nursing makes a good barometer for how severe an illness is -- s/he will nurse well through ordinary illnesses, but may stop nursing if he becomes too weak. With a premature baby, I'm not confident about this -- there are many other factors in the situation, and it's too complicated to judge based on the information I have about Dylan. Don't hesitate to call his doctor again if your mommy-sense tells you that something is seriously wrong. But in the meantime, watch his diaper output, nurse freely and on cue, and keep us posted. I hope he's doing better today.

Quote Originally Posted by cecilia View Post
    does hehave a stomach virus? .
    they THINK so.But hes had a problem pooping lately,so they arent sure.they said no water because it tosses the electrolytes off, and since he doesnt take formula(allergic), to feed him normally.

Thank you for guys all for answering

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Rebecca View Post
    How old is Dylan?
    45 days

when was he born and at what gestational age?
    april 33 weeks
    What was his birth weight?
    7'2 with an immediate drop to a little over 5
    What and when was his most recent weight check?
    10 7 the week before last
    When did the vomiting/illness start?
    4 days ago he started vomiting.hes a big spitteruper but thats his reflux.Hes been having pooping issues for at least a week.He used to poop several times a day. All of last week he pooped one time. And hes gassy as heck, and really really trying.He went once early this morning.

I want to reassure you that your milk supply WILL keep up if Dylan is able to nurse well and has free access to the breast.
    Hes a lousy latcher with respiratory issues..We always try, he wants to I think.Hes always hanging out there, he just doesnt get it.I tried to kangaroo him last night, sometimes that helps..

Last, a breastfed baby is going to find much more comfort at his momma's breast than from a bottle when he feels sick and crummy.
    Hes at it as much as possible

I hope he's doing better today.
    He hasnt puked in 6 hours, and he finally slept for a bit...*fingers crossed* I hope hes done.I hate to see him in this kindof pain.I was also worried it may be my diet, but I cant eat so much that I really doubt theres anything left for him to be sensitive to. .
    Last edited by babydsmommy; June 10th, 2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: forgot to write when he was weighed