Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: to pump or not to pump?

Default Re: to pump or not to pump?

I'm a SAHM and breastfeed my baby. Since I'm always with her I didn't purchase a pump or any bottles and have never needed either of them. See how things go after you have the baby. Hope that helps

I agree with the suggestion of asking at the hospital. Although health insurance is all different, my insurance also covered a medela hand pump. They didn't offer it to me, but when I asked they provided it.

I think you might want to have some EBM to have an opportunity for an occasional time away. Even running to the store or going to dinner, etc. I work outside the home, so I pump a lot, but even when I was on maternity leave, I needed an occasional couple hour break. My 2nd LO ate 12-15x a day, which made even running to the grocery store difficult. Once we introduced a bottle it helped. I no longer got the call to come home ASAP when I'd only left the house 20 minutes earlier. Good luck.

That makes a lot of sense --- and yes, if i run out of the house to the grocery store and my husband is calling me frantically...well, that sounds a little crazy for me.

I have heard good things about the medela hand pump and the avent (spelling?) isis.....any thoughts on either? Both of them are affordable -- between $30-$40 -- so since price isn't an issue, any preferences?

Finally - any recommendations on bottles? I have heard that dr. brown's bottles are good...any one have good experiences w/ this or another brand? Thanks again ladies!!

some moms find that hand expression works well for a few bottles every once in a while. no need for special equipment.
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr96p51.html

Since I pump frequently, I use the Medela PIS Advanced. I'm not familiar with the hand pumps. For all 3 of our LO's, we used the Gerber drop in bottles with the silicone natural flow nipples. The main reason was the drop in liners so we didn't have to sterilize bottles all the time. They've worked great for us.