Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where & how do you bf in Wal-Mart, Target, and etc?

Red face Where & how do you bf in Wal-Mart, Target, and etc?

Because my lo had a health issue when she was born the doc said that she couldn't go out for two months. I can take her out now, but I don't know how/where to feed her (in wal-mart, target, a resturant etc.) , any suggestions???

Default Re: Where & how do you bf in Wal-Mart, Target, and etc?

I wasn't very brave about going out at first, so I would feed DS then run one errand and be back home by the time he needed to nurse again. I will work harder to figure out how to nurse in a sling the next time around, though.

Definitely get a sling! I use a mei tai all the time. Baby is vertical and facing me. I just reach down, pull my boob up and stick it in her mouth. If I'm in a store I usually put her sun hat on her head so no one can see what's going on. I just keep shopping all the while. It takes a little bit of practice, but once you can nurse on the go you will never look back!

Good luck!

A sling is a great idea. IMO - Pratice at home first, then try a park then move on to a store.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

If we're in the store and he just can't wait...I'll go sit in the 'home' department on a couch, or some of hte walmarts here have actual benches around the store too. At BabysRUS they have a "mothers room" but it's ALWAYS full so I just use one of the rocking chairs, and I've actually had a sales lady thank me for "selling a chair".

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

when my dd was smaller I would go back to the fabric department.
    ITs twards the back of our walmart. and not alot of men are around.
    They had thoose chairs to took at patterns, not great for nursing but at least someplace to sit down.
    Ive also nursed in every patio display in town.
    pick a chair or swing where your back is going to be twards the biggest flow of people. Thats whats great about having a summer baby..patio displays
    Slings are great too.
    most people have no clue that the baby is nursing!
    you can do it.

In Winners/Homesense (I think it's the same as TJ Maxx or Steinmart), I always hit the furniture department. In Walmart, I either go to a change room if it's going to be a full feeding, or the shoe department if it's just a quick drink.

In a restaurant, I found that booths were harder to nurse in than a table & chairs. A lot of the time, there's not a lot of space between you and the table in a booth. With a chair, you have more mobility, but less "coverage".

Thumbs up Re: Where & how do you bf in Wal-Mart, Target, and etc?

I love the changing room idea! I have a sling, but haven't tried it yet. I still have to figure out how to feed her without the Boppy!!!

I second (third? fourth?) the sling idea. Practice in front of a mirror until you're confident with the act and also know just what it looks like. As far as where, when I've been at Target or the grocery, I'll take a seat at the bench in the pharmacy area and nurse there. You can nurse walking around with a sling, but personally, I prefer to get comfortable, take a load off and chill while nursing.

I don't think I felt natural nursing in public until about 2 months or so. It takes a while to feel like you know what you're doing and to be able to do it smoothly, so don't worry if you don't feel like you're a suave bf'er yet. You'll probably notice a huge difference in ease of nursing once your little one has a little more head control.

Keep up the good work!

I use a carrier, but I heard (or read ) a very smart mama say once that she went to the Home/Garden section and just sat in the display patio section on a nice comfy couch (chair). Made me think that it was like playing vacation (where are we today dear, LA? Florida? ) not to mention it would be a great place to get your feet up and plan what you would like to do with your back yard