Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when start solids

Default when start solids

hi
    our son just entered 5 th month.weight gain in 2 weeks was 4 oucnes.both times with diaper and dress.i am thinking he is not gaining taht much weight though not unde weight as teh doc didnt say he is under weight.he is in 25 th percentile for weight.
    i wa splanning toe xclusively breast feed him till 6 months but now getting a doubt if thsi only is enough or if solids needed.
    any advice appreciated
    thanks

Default Re: when start solids

Hi sa2004,
    You are worried your baby isn't getting enough from breastmilk alone and you're wondering if it's time to introduce solids. It must be reassuring that your doctor isn't concerned about his weight gain. What is his output like (how many wet and messy diapers)? Is he showing signs of readiness for solids (listed below)?
    Here's some info from the FAQ When should my baby start solids?

"Most solid foods are lower in calories than human milk, of lower nutritional value, and can be difficult for young babies to digest. Introduced early, they can cause unpleasant reactions and even trigger allergies. These problems can be avoided by waiting until your baby is ready for solids.

Your baby is starting to get ready for solids when:
    * he is about four months old
    * he becomes more sociable, playing and holding "conversations" with you during a nursing session
    * he has a growth spurt and nurses more frequently for a while
    * he imitates the chewing motions you make whilst eating -- he is practicing!

You will know that he is really ready to start solids when:
    * he is about six months old
    * he can sit up without any support
    * he continues to be hungry despite more frequent nursing which is unrelated to illness or teething
    * he has lost the tongue-thrusting reflex and does not push solids out of his mouth
    * he can pick up things with his finger and thumb (pincer grasp)"

Mary

thx
    he is in 25 th percentile for weight-means lower group???

How many wet diapers in a day? How about messy ones -- what is his pattern for those?
    Is he sleeping through the night? Does he suck on a pacifier, fingers or thumb? Has he been ill? Is he getting any water or juice?
    At 4-5 months a baby loves to look around and may become distracted, shortening his nursing times. Does this sound familiar?
    Current recommendations are to introduce solids at around 6 months. The foods added to their diets can contribute to slow weight gain. When given in large amounts - especially before breastfeeding - foods low in calories (cereals, veggies, fruits) can fill a baby's stomach without providing enough calories to maintain proper growth. Most solid foods are lower in calories than human milk, of lower nutritional value, and can be difficult for young babies to digest.
    Can you describe a typical day of nursing for both of you? It may be that more frequent breastfeeding or breast compression may be all that is necessary to improve weight gain.
    Here's more about breast compression.
    Once your ds is no longer drinking but just “nibbling” hold your breast with one hand, thumb on one side and four fingers on the other, and gently bring your thumb and fingers together. It should be firm but it should not hurt. Hopefully you will see signs of drinking again. Hold the compression until he’s back to a nibble. If he doesn’t start actively drinking again you could try another compression in another area of the breast. You can experiment with this technique to see if it works for you. This might keep his interest in nursing longer and let him get more milk and calories.
    This is a lot of info and questions! Let me know what else we can do to help, OK?

Mary

thx
    that helps a lot
    details
    i am confused if he is sucking fingers due to hunger or simply
    yes he does look around distracted nurisng really using my patience
    i treid breast comrpesison never worsk it hurts
    also teh only way i can express milj -even to measure how much its coming etc purposes is pumpinga nd not breats compression
    wet diapers are rough;y 6 or os-i stopped countinga cuately
    may be i shud start
    dirty diapers are aout 3-4
    is this enough info...let me know as i am typing ebfore i sleep now :-( so in case i missed any
    really curios to icnreas ehis weight further as he is in 25 th percentile an di like a plumpier baby by His grace :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sa2004
    thx
    Babies that age will usually suck their fingers just because they want to suck on anything! I bet if you put some toys in front of him he would suck those as well. I don't think that's a great indicator of hunger in later months

They start to get distracted when they become more aware of everything - my DD will latch on, latch off, look around, come back etc. Itry to put a soft blanket over her eyes or face so she can't see as much! Also maybe try a nursing necklace (necklace with some beads on it so he can look at those & still nurse)

Its definitely not supposed to hurt but I'm not sure how to help with that one.

also teh only way i can express milj -even to measure how much its coming etc purposes is pumpinga nd not breats compression
    Pumping is never a reliable indicator of how much baby is getting b/c they are so much better at nursing and getting milk than a pump can. You have to look at the baby and output vs. input..

may be i shud start
    This sounds pretty good! If you are really worried then start counting again but a rough 6 sounds fine. If you notice that you are getting alot less all of a sudden, then I'd worry.

Good too exc. many babies go for days without BM and that's ok too.

really curios to icnreas ehis weight further as he is in 25 th percentile an di like a plumpier baby by His grace :-)
    If your dr is not concerned with the weight, then I wouldn't worry so much (knowing that we still do worry, just don't stress). There is nothing wrong with 25% - the goal is not to get to 100% its to remain at same percentile or close to it throughout. The drs just don't want to see a dramatic decrease or increase & if they do then they will want to find out why. Was your DS in much higher percentile before? My best advice is to look at the baby not the scale (and believe me I have a peanut and always have to remind myself of this!). Is he happy, meeting milestones, doing well? If so, then he is fine and don't stress b/c of his gain. And, after 4 mos some babies level off on weight gain so a slower gain is not unexpected. If you want him "plumper" then I'd say nurse him more - I don't think solids is the answer.

I think you are doing fine & so is your DS!

You're right, sometimes the cues are hard to tell - is he hungry or teething or comforting? If you want, you could offer to nurse and see what happens.

This can be trying! Sometimes limiting the stimulation around can help. A quiet room, perhaps?

Oh gosh, it shouldn't hurt. Maybe you are sqeezing too hard? The aim is to get a bit more milk flowing to keep baby's interest. It may not be anything you can see or feel, just enough to keep them interested/swallowing a little longer.

cc's mom had a good point, pumping isn't an accurate measure of what baby gets. Your baby is your best pump! Output will help you measure.

may be i shud start

This does sound good. Maybe your baby is just right at 25%. The growth charts simply show where your baby falls in a group of babies. At 25% your baby is bigger than one-quarter of the other babies and smaller than three-quarters of the other babies. Has he been in a higher percentile before?

he is in 25 th percentile an di like a plumpier baby by His grace :-)

Plumpy babies are lovely but all babies are different. You are the expert on your baby. There have to be some babies in the 25th percentile. Not everyone can be average, kwim?

HTH!
    Mary