Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast Milk while flying

Default Breast Milk while flying

Hi all,

We will be flying home, cross country, with our newborn who is being born with the help of a surrogate. I cannot breast feed or carry a pregnancy because I am taking Tomoxifin, following Breast cancer.

Does anyone know how I can heat breast milk on the plane? Are there any battery operated warmers? This will be an all day trip, so whatever device I use, would have to be used several times.

Thanks much for any info!

Lisa from FL

Default Re: Breast Milk while flying

I would guess that the flight attendants would willingly warm up your milk any time you need it. Perhaps you could call the airline just to confirm??

Thanks, Amberlori. I will call. I have read that breast milk shouldn't be microwaved. Not sure if this is true or not.

Lisa / FL

Hi Lisa! I am guessing that the flight attendants won't have any trouble at all warming the milk for you. I'm sure they're used to that kind of thing! It is true, you shouldn't warm up breast milk in a microwave, it depletes some of the nutrients in the milk. They also say not to microwave formula because both formula and breastmilk heat unevenly and cause hot spots which could burn your little one.

Have a great trip and congrats on your new arrival!!!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Dunking the bottle halfway into quite warm water for a few minutes, or holding it under warm running water, will do the trick nicely and shouldn't be too hard to accomplish on the plane -- especially with help from the flight attendants. Good luck! I'm so excited for you.

--Rebecca

Smile Re: Breast Milk while flying

Thanks so much, Amber & Rebecca! Great ideas about the warm water and good explanation of problems with microwaving! I would give anything to be able to nurse our baby girl, but am just thankful that she might get some donated breast milk. We are very excited too! It's been a very long, expensive journey, but hey, I have a new lease on life, having survived breast cancer and now, the dream of my life, to have a baby is about to come true, thanks to our surrogate angel!

Lisa from Florida