Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help, my baby is sick!

Default Help, my baby is sick!

I think my daugther has a cold and is all stuffy in the nose. I have tried to suck out the boogies but it doesn't seem to work and she sometimes chokes after I do it and cries. I think she also has mucus in her throat cause sometime when she breathes in she chokes. I don't know what to do with breastfeeding her cause she can't breathe through her nose. You can even hear the stuffiness in her nose when she breathes. I don't know what to do to help her breathe. Can anyone provide any ideas to help.

Default Re: Help, my baby is sick!

I really feel for you! My son was sick with a cold a few weeks ago and it was miserable. I found that suctioning the nose worked okay but wouldn't get rid of the difficulty to breathe. What helped somewhat was sleeping him in his carseat (or falling asleep with him sitting up), taking a hot shower while he sat in his carseat in the bathroom and breathed in the steam, and sometimes nursing sitting up with him sitting up facing me (that was really hard! daddy needed to help a lot!). It seemed like when he could finally fall asleep his breathing became less labored and less stuffy- but he wouldn't always stay asleep for long! Hope your daughter is well soon- remember it will probably only be a few days of really bad symptoms even though it feels like forever.

sometimes saline drops help loosen the mucous (then suction and/or wipe w/tissue) still causes baby to cry hard, but usually able to nurse after crying settles down

I hate colds. I feel like a monster trying to help ds eat and breathe. Even tissues w/o drops or suction still makes him cry hysterically.

The saline drops works wonders. I was told to suction before and after nursing. Also, having a warm air humidifier helps out a lot. My DS got the cold a week after he was born. That was miserable. It sure made nursing him very challenging. Hope your baby feels better soon.

I have also read that if you express a little bit a breast milk and put drops of that into their nose that that will help. I haven't tried it, but I've read it at several different sources.

My little man is sick too, (no congestion, but a nasty cough!) so I know how you feel.

All the best.

Here's a great site (not LLL approved) that has an article on the healing properties of breastmilk!!

http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...ine-chest.html

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I've tried steaming a shower and it seems to have helped a little. I will try the breastmilk thing next. She really hates the suction thing and screams when I come near her with it. This is just so frustrating that there's nothing more I can do for her. It almost makes me want to cry. Hopefully she will get over this soon, if not for her sake but for my sanity.

Having two older kids, my son picked up a cold when he was 6 weeks old. We found the saline drops worked really well. We put them in and waited a few seconds before suctioning. It also really helped to have a humidifer right next to our bed (we co-sleep). It is awful to have a sick baby and it does seem like it lasts forever! Hang in there!