Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Time at breast

Default Time at breast

I'm new to the forums and I've learned so much from you ladies! Love the support here. I'm a first time breastfeeding mom. My first 2 boys came to our family through adoption and then we had a surprise pregnancy (after 8 years of trying!!). I'm happily breastfeeding my 11 week old son now.

Here's my question... my ped. said to feed him 15 minutes on each side. That was great in the beginning, but now I'm lucky if I can get him to nurse 10 minutes on each side. Usually it's 10 min. on one side and about 5-7 on the other. He seems content when he's finished, but sometimes still seems hungry. Is it possible that he has drained my breasts in that amount of time? My right side produces more than my left, so he usually goes longer on the right. He's growing like a weed, so I don't think I really have anything to worry about, but of course, I still worry. Any thoughts?

~Rhonda
    Mom to 3 boys!
    Lukas (1-5-03)
    Merric (11-9-04)
    Blake (3-22-07)
    Last edited by pugmom74; June 8th, 2007 at 08:12 PM.

Default Re: Time at breast

As your Lo grows older, he's also likely growing more efficient and "emptying" your breasts. So as long as he seems content and is still gaining well, I wouldn't worry about it. FWIW, my LO can clean me out in 3 mins. a side! lol

don't pay too much attention to the amount of time. i let my son nurse on one side until he's done and then i offer him the other side. he is 10 wks old and he does about the same as your son. sometimes he takes even less than 10 minutes on the first side. it sounds like he's getting exactly what he needs!

Timing feeds isn't only outdated advice but it can be harmful to baby. Feed baby from one side and when he pulls off satisfied you can offer the other. There's really no reason to feed with both sides during a feeding. One is fine. After a few weeks baby can become very efficient at feeding and take no more than a few minutes feeding all together. My son started feeding for maybe five minutes every couple hours when he was a couple months old. Watching wet diapers is the way to go. Sounds like you're doing very well. Congratulations!
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion

Thank you so much for your replies! I'm feeling much more confident now. I was thinking all along that he was just getting more and more efficient at draining my breasts, but with him being my first bf baby I wasn't sure.

Thanks again!