Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh oh - poor weight gain.

Default Uh oh - poor weight gain.

This might be long, but I'll try to be quick...

My DD is 4 weeks old. She was 9.2 when she was born. Up until last week breast feeding had been going great, when we think she developed reflux. We went to the doctor, he put her on Zantac. She's been doing much better in the last few days.

When they weighed her at that appointment she weighed 9.10. She was in the 50 percentile, so he wasn't too worried, but wanted us to come back today to check her weight over the long weekend. She lost an ounce.

While I was pregnant they discovered early on that she had an enlarged kidney, which toward the end of my pregnancy seemed to have rectified, however, he took a urine sample from her today to check for a possible infection. Depending on the results from that we'll schedule her 6 week ultrasound sooner. It's possible that a bladder infection might cause poor weight gain, but he's doubtful since she has wet diapers, eats well, etc etc.

Anyway, we go back next Monday for another weight check. If she hasn't shown any marked improvement he mentioned supplementing with expressed breast milk and/or formula. That makes me sad. He is really good about helping me breast feed, but if she is loosing weight then she needs the calories from somewhere. He's also really good about finding out the underlying cause, hence the urine sample and ultrasound.

So, what can I do to get her to gain weight? What could also be the cause? I so desperately want to avoid supplementing with formula.

HELP!

Default Re: Uh oh - poor weight gain.

we just found out that my dd has reflux...she started to drop on the charts...below the 25%...the dr. said that the reflux itself can cause poor weight gain. DD has been eating like a little piggie since being on zantac...and sleeping a lot, must be catching up on her growing! Just try not to be too upset with supplementing...you are doing what you need to do to help her grow, and it won't be for forever. Things are bound to regulate. Hope the urine test comes back a-ok!

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html
    how often is the baby nursing?
    can you add an extra feed? or a few everyday? that should help.
    Like if she is eating every 4 hours during the day try to nurse closer together.
    2 hours during the day.. any time she will take it.
    that way she will be gettting more milk during the day.
    If she sleeps alot at night, it might help too.

She feeds every two hours.

Can you please give us her stats? Birth weight and all subsequent weight checks and when they were done.

I wouldn't rely on percentiles on the growth charts. I'll wait to see what your response is.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLCarol
    Can you please give us her stats? Birth weight and all subsequent weight checks and when they were done.

I wouldn't rely on percentiles on the growth charts. I'll wait to see what your response is.
    Like I said in my first post, she 9.2 when she was born. She left the hospital at 8.7. Last week (at 3 weeks old) she was 9.10, yesterday (at 4 weeks old) she was 9.9. She lost an ounce in a week, as opposed to gaining. At a month old she has only surpassed her birth weight by 7 ounces.

Today I'm noticing a total lack in appetite, yet she WANTS to be at the brest. She doesn't suck like she's hungry. If I try to keep her awake (wash cloth, massage, burping, switching sides, plain ole poking, etc) she gets angry and pulls off. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I don't use any artificial nipples. She really only eats like she's hungry 2 or 3 times a day (with more 10 minutes of good sucking and swollowing). The rest of the time she just wants to be with me with my nipple in her mouth, but nothing I do can get her to actually suck and swallow.

I'm totally lost here. Her pediatrician is willing to give us another week, but if two weeks go by with no weight gain, or God forbid more weight loss, then he wants to introduce some sort of supplement.

He doesn't think my milk is lacking, in fact, he agreed that I have a good supply. She does do better if I spray my OALD into a cloth before I latch her on, but still, she just doesn't seem hungry. She is otherwise alert and happy (since being on the Zantac) and is not lethargic.

Today she has only had 2 wet diapers since about midnight of last night, but this obviously because she's not eating well.

This has really only been a problem in the last two weeks. It started with her fussing at the breast, and with a combination of the Zantac and controlling my OALD she has done much better about staying on. It's just that now she is staying latched she's not doing anything. Before all this she ate fine.

OK, I need you to clarify for me as I don't think I'm understanding:

Birth weight: 9 lbs. 2 oz.
    Lowest weight: 8 lbs. 7 oz. (loss of 11 oz. from birth weight)
    3 weeks old: 9 lbs. 10 oz. (gain of 19 oz. from lowest weight which equates into about 6 oz. gain per week)
    4 weeks old: 9 lbs. 9 oz. (loss of 1 oz. from last week)

Do I have that right? Because if so, your baby is gaining weight just fine! Please correct me if I'm wrong. I wouldn't give too much concern to the 1 oz. loss since last week, especially if it hasn't even been a whole week since she was last weighed. Was she weighed on the exact same scale at the exact same time of day under the exact same circumstances? Are you certain that the scale hasn't been calibrated since her last weight check? If you can't answer yes to both of those questions, then her weight checks cannot be considered accurate. You really need to look at what her weight is doing overall and not what it's doing from day to day. She may have lost an ounce this past week but next week you may find that her weight is up significantly.

She's had 2 wet diaper since midnight -- you still have a long way to go until Midnight tonight so let's see what her output is like for the rest of the day. What about her bowel movements? How many per day is she having?

Ideally, she should be nursing about 8-12 times per day but if she's otherwise doing well -- gaining weight (as I mentioned above, it appears as though she is), having wet and poopy diapers and is otherwise happy and alert then it sounds like things are going just fine.

Was she weighed on the exact same scale at the exact same time of day under the exact same circumstances?
    Yup, 8:20 in the morning, nakid, same scale, ate at the same time before both weigh ins, etc.

So what do I do about her not wanting to actually eat?

So what do I do about her not wanting to actually eat?
    "Watch the baby, not the clock" -- offer to nurse her frequently (at least every 2 hours throughout the day and every 4 hours at night), watch her output (pee & poop) and observe your baby. How do you feel she is doing? Do you feel she's doing well and thriving? You know your baby best Like I mentioned above, if she's otherwise doing well -- gaining weight (as I mentioned above, it appears as though she is), having wet and poopy diapers and is otherwise happy and alert then it sounds like things are going just fine.

Perhaps you could keep logs so that you can really pinpoint her nursing patterns. You said that she nurses really well 2 or 3 times a day. Is this a guess or do you know for certain? Sometimes when we have newborns our hours, days and nights run together Is she nursing throughout the night?

Often times, babies will nurse really well if they're sleepy.

And just to be sure, doctor has checked her ears to be sure they are clear? You've ruled out thrush? You've tried nursing her in a variety of positions?

And just to be sure, doctor has checked her ears to be sure they are clear? You've ruled out thrush? You've tried nursing her in a variety of positions?
    Yup. As for positions, some work better for her but I'm unable (injuries), which pretty much only leaves one - her on the boppy in my lap. Because of my injuries BFing has really been a challenge, and I sometimes wonder if I'm subconciously not letting her nurse long enough because it hurts me, which makes me feel horrible. I'm seriously considering pumping because of how bad it hurts, but it breaks my heart because how much comfort she gets from it.

Thanx for all your help.