Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby due in 4 weeks, have questions

Default Baby due in 4 weeks, have questions

I breastfed my 1st child, but she was born 7-1/2 years ago, so I am having difficulty remembering the whole hospital experience.(I only remember some bad stuff that went on due to my insisting to bf her while taking Paxil and being met with resistence from the LC, to the Pediatrician, etc.) I was reading some other posts and it made me want to ask some questions/make some comments. I do not think my first dd was brought to me immediately to breastfeed. I had a c-section and know she was not brought to me in the recovery room.

May I really insist that my 2nd dd be brought to me immediately? (I am having a repeat c-section and will be in recovery, again.) In what cases would her nurse(s) try to supplement with formula? Can they do that without my knowledge? How do I make it so it cannot happen without my knowledge/consent?

Could a LLL member (leader?) actually be available to me while we are still in the hospital? How would I go about arranging that? I did not have the support of LLL back then, because I simply didn't know about it.

And, I do remember that I wanted my first dd to be in the room with me as much as possible, and her nurse(s) kept discouraging that, so I could get some rest, because their reasoning was I was not going to get much rest once I got home. I didn't care about resting; I wanted her with me. Any thoughts, suggestions about this?

Thank you for any input you might have!

Default Re: Baby due in 4 weeks, have questions

Your best bet is to ask the hospital what their policies are for BFing mothers. We got the option to take a tour of our hospital and to ask questions, do you? Most hospitals these days only do room-in with babies, unless they're taken to NICU. If not, make a sign to put on your baby's bassinett (I did this anyway even though she was in my room) that says "I'm being breast fed, please, no bottles, pacifiers, formula or sugar water!"

Make YOUR decisions known before you go in for surgery, and have your partner help enforce them.

I know babies in the recovery room are not always allowed, depending on the circumstances. I had a 3rd degree tear with my labor and it took them an hour to stitch me up. They wouldn't let me have her until they were done incase I jumped in pain, or started having convulsions (a lot of bleeding) etc. It was for HER safety that they wouldn't allow it, which I totally understand. If your procedure goes well and you are not at risk for any complications (low blood preasure, dizziness, etc) then you shouldn't have a problem nursing in recovery.

Don't be afraid to speak up! I think my nurses hated me because I made my wishes well known.

Congrats and all best wishes on your impending birth!
    I heartily agree with the PP -- make your intentions and wishes known in whatever way will work the best for you. It's quite common now to write a 'birth plan' and have that placed into your chart when you arrive at the hospital. Make a few copies, I'd say, and be very ready to hand them to the staff attending you! What should be in this plan? The basics that are important to you: having baby with you as soon as is safely possible for you and baby after delivery; rooming in with baby; that you intend to breastfeed and do not want formula or sugar water given; etc., etc. Be sure to discuss in detail with your partner and/or whoever will be there supporting you during the birth and immediate aftermath as these people are key to helping your wishes be executed! You can even include things like 'would prefer female staff' or 'please, no students' etc., if that matters to you at all.
    FWIW, after 46+ hours of labor (induced, because bp was getting dangerously high), DS was finally in my arms and we were trying for that first magical latch while the delivery team was trying to get my placenta out... it wouldn't detach, though, and after losing ALOT of blood in the 15-20 minutes spent trying, I was rushed to the OR to have it removed. Thankfully, that did not require surgery, but DS was, of course, taken from me during all this. I still get teary thinking about this as I remember DH standing holding minutes old baby while we watched bloody footprints get made all over the OR floor - and we knew that was all coming from me. I passed out 3 times, but still was very aware of the look of fear on DH's face. Someone came in to take DS away for some more med checks and I insisted that DH go with him as I couldn't stand the thought of him being without both of us even for a minute. We were blessed to have a doula with us and she - and the absolutely amazing nurses who saw me thru delivery - stayed with me in the OR. Sorry; I digressed too far. My point....( yes...there was one...!) was that in all this, everyone DID respect and support our wishes. As soon as I was out of the OR, DH was right there to bring DS back to me and let me tell you, I didn't not let him out of my reach for the next 36 hours or more.... Everyone was wonderful.... and we're still breastfeeding at 12+ months.

My main suggestion: make it clear - in as simply and kind a way as possible - what your wishes are. Keep reminding. Keep asking for what you need and make it clear that you know folks are there to help you. Nothing works better than positive reinforcement, so if someone is particularly good to you, be openly appreciative. Seriously, though....write a simple 'birth plan' list of things that matter to you!!
    Best of luck......come back and let us know how it all went!
    Jsmom

you could call your local lll leader and see if she will vist you in the hospital, some will, some don't do home vists. Since you have a set date that might help. When I had my dd by c-section my hubby went with baby while the finished up the surgury. He was more than happy to be out of the room.
    He's kind of funny about blood and such.. he almost passed out when one of our older sons was born.. anyways send your partner with the baby.
    and a small delay in nursing will not hurt! If you can room in that's wonderful. We did that and the nurses were so busy with the other mothers they pretty much left me alone.

Just a few quick comments:

1) Rooming-in was an option at the last hospital, but the nurses discouraged against it anyway. Rooming-in is also an option at this hospital, and I want to do that and plan to do that.

2) I think my first child was given sugar water now that I think of it...I can't remember why, though. And, now that I am thinking of that, I am wondering about something else.... I have gestational diabetes, and there is a chance the baby's sugar will be low, or so I have been told, would that be a reason why the sugar water is given? If that is a reason for the sugar water to be given, wouldn't I want them to do that?

3) I found a somewhat local chapter of LLL, and I sent an e-mail to someone about my desire to have someone visit me at the hospital. Hopefully I will hear back from someone.

I like the suggestions everyone has made, and as soon as I get a chance, I am going to re-read what folks share and make some notes for myself. So, thank you sooooo much! I am off to get my 1st dd to bed! LOL

do you have a copy of the womanly art of breastfeeding?
    a healthy baby doesn't need sugar water, if the doctor tells you that the baby realy needs it, they can give it from a cup or dropper. The fake nipple is what you want to stay away from.

Quote Originally Posted by Momto2
    2) I think my first child was given sugar water now that I think of it...I can't remember why, though. And, now that I am thinking of that, I am wondering about something else.... I have gestational diabetes, and there is a chance the baby's sugar will be low, or so I have been told, would that be a reason why the sugar water is given? If that is a reason for the sugar water to be given, wouldn't I want them to do that?
    Hi Momto2,
    I can tell you really want to prepare yourself! You're asking some great questions.
    This article may interest you. Hypoglycemia and the Breastfed Newborn
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug97p107.html

HTH!
    Mary

Hello momto2,

I'm commenting on the gestational diabetes thing first here cause it's something that I went through with my third child the last 3 months. I hated it cause I couldn't control with food alone I needed to have insulin. I had not been given much insulin while in labour cause my sugar levels were fine. First thing to do when dc is born is to nurse as soon as possible cause that will help with raising their sugar levels. I had an amazing nurse who was more concerned with me starting to breastfeed that she didn't take him from my tummy till he nursed. That was so amazing they understood my wishes alot. He was my last and final one and I wanted to treasure every moment cause I missed out on my daughters birth cause I had a fourth degree tear. I was too taken to the OR to be stitched after I got an epidural cause I didn't have it through labour and deliver. My dh had dd in the recovery room till I got out cause they were getting scared that I would lose so much blood they just rushed me away. I don't remember much about the delivery other than they were worried about white specks on her body and my tear. I was glad they didn't give dd anything till I came out of the OR mind you my dh didn't like the constant screaming cause he was left all by himself with knowing nothing. So just make sure you state exactly what you want and most definately enforce it. Baby can wait a bit till you can finally breastfeed. But if you have gestational diabetes breastfeed ASAP it will definately help with dc not getting sugar water.

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

From my experience of having a c-section and I'm about to have my second one, I would recommend:

1) making sure that you have a little sign that you can put in the baby's bassinette that says "I'm exclusively breastfed. Please do not give me pacifiers or bottles (with either formula or water). Thank you!"

2) have DH with you in the operating room; that way, he can be with the baby at all times after he/she is born; he can also be your advocate to be sure that the baby is brought to you for nursing asap. So long as there are no complications, the baby should be able to nurse with you in recovery asap.

3) tell everyone who will listen that you want to nurse asap, particularly while you are in recovery

4) also tell all of your nurses that you want to see the lactation consultant on staff as soon as she becomes available.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head... : I second the idea that you might want to get your hands on "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" or "The Breastfeeding Book" (by Dr. Sears). They will help tremendously.

Jacqui

You know, that whole "resting in the hospital" thing is so damn funny. I was more tired in the hospital than I was at home, because someone was in my room every few hours to either stick me or take my blood pressure or something, or the baby down the hall was screaming, or the lights were on, or something! I was so ready to go home I could have lost it!

With that said, stick to your guns... YOU are the mama. Reach in there and tap that inner lioness. Your baby's welfare is at stake, and if you keep that in mind, you'll have the strength to demand anything!