Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Strep throat and bfing

Exclamation Strep throat and bfing

I think I may have strep throat. Is it safe to continue to breastfeed when I may have to take anti-biotics? Which ones are recommended?

Default Also...is airborne safe to take?

I have heard conflicting advice.

Default Re: Strep throat and bfing

I recently had tonsilitis and was put on Cipro. There are many other antibiotics that you can use....Here is a site that lists some of them.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...oved-meds.html

I would reccommend also taking a probiotic to protect yourself and LO from thrush while on the antibiotics.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Default Re: Strep throat and bfing

First, just so you know one of my fellow nurses told me that strep is very hard for infants to get....so luckily your lo won't get it. I freaked when my 6 yr old had it and my lo was only a few months old. She never got it.

And yes, there are lots of antibiotics you can take that are safe for your lo. I took amoxicillin for a sinus infection and had no problems. That might be what your doc prescribes for you, that's what they give my son sometimes for it. It is safe for you to bf your infant with it. Just think of it like I do, nursing infants only get 1-2% of medications you ingest. 1-2% of the drug is probably not even close to the dose the infant would take if they took the meds themselves. So say you take 500 mg of tylenol, Your lo might get 5-10 mg of the med through your breast milk. Even a small infant can take 80 mg of they tylenol.The same goes with most other safe meds while bfing. It always made me feel better to think about it that way.