Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk coming out baby's nose?

Question Milk coming out baby's nose?

I've noticed that when I nurse my son (3 mos. old) in the side-lying position that milk drips out his nose!
    Am I doing something wrong as far as the position? He latches on fine and I hear him swallowing. Is something wrong with him? Is this normal/ok?
    I was a little freaked out by it when I realized it was coming from his nose, not leaking out his mouth as I had thought.

Default Re: Milk coming out baby's nose?

Same thing has happened to my LO since day 1, I make sure to elevate his head a little and it seems to help. Make sure you have one of those bugger sucker bulbs handy though...it can bring on milky boogies and if they dry your LO might not be able to breathe well while nursing the next time.

BTW-Welcome to the forum!
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR

This happens to us too, and it really scared me at first--I was online looking for rare malformations of the digestive tract that would explain his problem! It has helped me too to make sure his head is a little elevated, and I usually let him sit up against a pillow after he eats for a few minutes to let everything settle. It's helped a lot.

From your other posters it sounds like it won't be a big problem, but I would check with your Pedi. next time you're in the Dr.'s office. I know there is some kind of condition where some people cannot seal the nose from the throat and cannot swim underwater when older, because the water contiually goes into the mouth.

Dr Sears suggests that mom's milk is good for clearing a stuffy nose. Maybe it is good for them?

Yep, same happened to my little guy starting at 4 months. I think it was due to my OALD............ it never happens anymore though. I asked my Dr and he kind of laughed...... I didn't think it was funny..... but it assured me that it was nothing to be worried about.

Oh, and he did seem to have lots of boogers though after that would happen.