Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Re: Trouble with the Breast

Default Re: Trouble with the Breast

Absolutely not!!! You don't need to add to your stress and worry about that with your LO! Just because your LO struggles a bit does not mean she will hate you. Think of it this way, when your daughter is older and you say no to her for one reason or another, will she hate you? No! She might be upset and act like she hates you, but she won't hate you! I EP and tried for a long time to get my LO on the breast. I know how frustrating it can be and your LO most likely is frustrated like you and that's why she's crying.

I thought of something as I was reading this thread, have you tried a nipple shield? I don't have any experience with it, but if your daughter is used to bottle nipples maybe using a nipple shield would help you transitions her to the breast.

Keep up the good work! Your doing such a WONDERFUL thing for your LO!

Good grief..NO she won't hate you! She most likely wont even remember breastfeeding. Big Hugs and Continued Support!

thanks, so much for your support you don't know how it encourages me to continue to try dispite the difficulty. I have tried using the breast shield however, because bf doesn't come easy for me, of course she fights me. I think that she is use to the bottle nipple and is smart enough to know when I make the switch. So what I have been trying to do is place the breast shield over the bottle nipple so she will get use to it. Anythings worth a try at this point! But so far it hasn't worked. I will continue to bf dispite anything and anyone. Until I am successful or I just get tired of trying.

Does anyone have anyother advice getting thru nipple confusion?

I don't know what to say about nipple confusion, but I felt that my baby hated me. I think (I'm scared to write this in case we go back to the old days) I *think* we're over the hurdle. I still don't know what the issue was, but time helped and despite the fact she would scream, hit, kick, fight at my breast NOW she is finally a happy nurser. We have smiling contests all the time now, laugh at each other for no reason, etc. She was not like this before and she does not seem to blame me for her earlier pain. I am hoping this trend will continue until she's a teen (ha)...but seriously, I don't think you have to worry about her holding it against you. I think the fact I am less stressed helps her, though, because they do pick up on our stress. It was just about impossible for me not to be stressed at the time, though, so I'd try to drink my fennel seed tea and calm down. Have you tried feeding her while you're both in the bathtub? I've heard that can work well.

Since there are women who begin lactating to nurse adopted babies - I think I am right when I say that it is never too late - all beit difficult... Ppl can correct me if I am wrong...

My daughter was a horrible latcher... I went to bed with her for a week - did all the herbs (Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle) pumped after every feed, and bathed with her. In the end my midwife set me up with a nursing bottle like they use in the hospital and a small feeding tube. I put the supplement in the bottle and while she was latched, slipped the feeding tube into the corner of her mouth. The result is that she was sucking it like a straw while sucking on the breast. At first I held it above her head so she would get it immediately. Then I started to let her draw it up herself. Finally I would remove it when I felt the let-down - then stopped using it entirely. It took a couple weeks - but she ended up soley BFing. The tube thing was a lot of work - but worth it. She learned to nurse while stimulating my milk to come in. The tube allowed her to get the gratification she needed to stick it out.

It probably sounds confusing. See if a LC or LLL person has used it, and try to get them to show you how, and where to get the tubes. In Ontario (Canada) they gave them to me at the breastfeeding clinic.

Hope that helps.

Default Stuff on nipple confusion

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBNovDec02p217.html

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov99p99.html

The second one also talks about something called the Charm Hold...never heard about it but wish I had tried it in the early days.

TODAY my lo latched on and wasn't frustrated. Just when I had given up, i'm so excited.

Hooray!!!! I'm so glad its going better for you both!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kimbuggy View Post
    TODAY my lo latched on and wasn't frustrated. Just when I had given up, i'm so excited.

Good for you, mama!!!

Tiana

Quote Originally Posted by kimbuggy View Post
    YEA!
    I went to babies r us and bought a breast flow bottle. She didnt really like it... it made her work too hard... that helped my dd stick with me...