Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Re: Trouble with the Breast

Default Re: Trouble with the Breast

are you pumping any?
    there is always hope you can make more milk!

I can only pump less than a half of an oz a day. The lactaid consultant suggested that I use what's called more milk plus to increase my milk supply. So far I haven't produced that much milk however, I have noticed that I have started to leak milk again. Hopefully this is a good sign.

I'm glad to see that you are doing better. I empathize with you because I also had very low milk production (less that 1/2 oz. per day). After struggling for weeks, I'm weaning my LO off supplements and he should soon be EBF. I know that it is possible!

I see that you pump. What kind of pump are you using? How often are you pumping? I switched to a hospital grade pump and it seems to have made a huge difference.

Keep up the good work! Let us know how things are going.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

Yes I do pump, I try to pump about every 3 or 4 hours (so inconvient). The lactaid consultant did suggest me to use a hospital grade pump and I have done so. I was wondering has anyone ever successfully breastfed after being unsuccessful for 2 months now. It is so hard not to give up and just switch to the bottle formula, however my daughters' formula has been switched twice and looks as if she will be switched again so I know if I can get her to bf then she will not have the problems she is having with the formula. I really appreciate everyones' support this helps me see that I am not the only one that has had these problems and I WILL eventually be able to bf successfully.

I was wondering before i give up. Has anyone successfully breastfeed after 2 months.

I don't know how similar our situations are since I only know a little bit of your story, but I'm almost at 4 months. I struggled *a lot* at first. I still have my up days and my down days, but I keep trying. It's not perfect and not as easy as it seems to be for some people, but it's okay and those times where I felt like, "Oh, this is how it's supposed to be" made all the effort worth it.

Things that helped: after 3 months, I realized we had really gotten better at the whole latching on/sucking thing. The osteopath might have helped, but it also might be that she just matured and had enough practice. Time definitely helps. I've also just discovered (and this is a real 'duh' thing) that I make more milk if I take naps. I'm also getting better at pumping. The amount is slowly going up, even though I hate pumping beyond words.

You've done 2 months and should be very proud of yourself for doing everything you've done to get things started. Your daughter is lucky to have you! Sending you hugs and support to hang in there until that 3rd month -- you might see a difference. I really believe we can do it.

well my daughter hasn't really breastfed at all, since the beginning she has been unreceptive toward breastfeeding. I still try to give her the breast but she continues to be so fussy that I just give her formula. Up until this point I could say that she has been strictly formula fed with the exception of being able to pump a little less than 1oz in a day that i would give to her. So that's why I was wondering should I just give up being that it has been 21/2 month now and she hasn't latched on. When I say "latch on" I mean that she will latch on but because of low milk supply she stops. I have tried to build my milk supply up but she still gives me a fit. This breastfeeding thing is really difficult. But because of the benefits I am trying not to give up. My husband gets so frustrated with me trying and i'm unsuccessful.

Oh, honey, you have my support! It's difficult. My baby cried, screamed, kicked and bit me for the longest time when we were learning how to bfeed. I was *not* expecting that...sure, I knew they had to learn but I didn't expect her to act like she hated it so much. One thing that I do worry about is supply, but my leader just told me not to think of it in terms of 'supply' but in terms of 'production;' we can always produce enough but it's the baby who controls it. She didn't eat well yesterday so I pumped a couple of times, and then she ate like a champion all night (they need to make a sleepy-faced smiley for us nursing mothers) and I have a bit more. She does better when she's sleepy -- more patient -- so I don't know if your daughter would do a little better as well. Even if it's just a little bit, it all helps.

Are you still in contact with your LLLleader? Mine has been absolutely wonderful and a lot of help. I need all the support I can get! It seems like there was a story at the last meeting (it was in a foreign language for me so I missed some of the details) where a mother got back her milk supply and managed to breastfeed after several months of bottlefeeding, so I know it can be done but it did take a lot of work. I'll try to find out what happened and let you know.

How's the pumping coming along? If she's not eating a lot at the breast then I guess you're trying to build supply through pumping. I hate the pump and know it's not easy! Do you have a good pump? To me it's good news that she'll latch on. I am not an expert since I'm figuring things out myself, but it sounds like she's frustrated at the harder work it takes to bfeed than it is to drink from the bottle. Maybe someone else can help you with this issue but I try to tell myself I've got milk, but she has to do the work to get it. So the problem isn't really your low milk supply but the fact that it's harder for her to get at it, so she's not telling you to produce as much so it's harder for her to get at, and thus it's a circular issue. We need to figure out a way to break that cycle. Is there a 'nipple confusion' section on this forum? Maybe there would be some helpful ideas there. Have you tried bfeeding in the bathtub or napping with her with your top off to see if she's motivated to latch on a suck a little? Will she suck better in the morning when you're fuller?

Honestly I think it can be done but it might take 'baby steps' which only makes sense. We need to figure out how to lure her and make her stay latched on since it's harder work for her. My husband at one point totally didn't understand why I didn't just go to the bottle, too, so if you feel like you need support come back here to the forum. Oh, and how about the teas and things you can take to increase supply? Have you tried any of those? I initially took something called "Galactogil" or something along those lines and it seemed to help. It was pretty sugary so I wonder if it made my milk sweeter and thus more alluring.

I wish I knew more and could help you better! Can you hang in there one more week at least?

I will continue to hang in there dispite the frustration. Lately i haven't been trying to bf because I have been on medicine for my tooth and i didn't want it to get into her system. I still try to get milk by masaging my breast while i'm in the shower to at least maintain the milk supply i do have, however low it is. Once i'm finish with this medicine i will put her back on. I Have tried nursing with a breast shield on and sometimes when she is very sleepy she latches on for a while. I know that it is worth it in the long run. I thank everyone who always support me when i am at the point of giving up.

What kind of medicine is it? Most medications are safe for babies, too!