Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Re: Trouble with the Breast

Default Re: Trouble with the Breast

I was wondering how does the breast flow bottle work. I haven't heard of that. It is worth trying. I'm trying not to give up but time is just ticking away and it is so stressful

Well it's been a while since I updated. My daughter has started to latch on and I thought that my supply was gone however i noticed when she bf that she was swallowing, so she is getting some. I have recently switched to fenugreek and started pumping to get my supply back to where it needs to be. One question my daughter has recently been sick should I still nurse her, when she does nurse, while she is sick.

Also, has anyone had a successful switch to the breast from the bottle after the baby started to show an intrest in bfing.

Little background info. my lo is 5 mths and NEVER bf but I kept trying and she has definitely show intrest lately after many many disappointments. I never really was able to pump successfully so I stopped and recently I have started to pump again. Now when I try she latces on without a fight and will even stay on for about 5 minutes. Even though I have very little milk.

Thanks for everyones support

Thanks for giving us the update! It sounds like you are making progress, slowly but surely. Good for you not giving up!

Quote Originally Posted by kimbuggy View Post
    One question my daughter has recently been sick should I still nurse her, when she does nurse, while she is sick.
    Yes! Definitely still nurse her when she is sick! Breastfeeding actually helps prevent and shorten the duration of baby's illness, because your milk produces antibodies specifically designed to target whatever bug she may have when she nurses directly. The effect isn't as powerful with pumped milk fed in a bottle, but it is still present. For a baby who is having stomach trouble, breastmilk is often all baby is able to digest. Breastfeeding has saved many a very ill child from hospitalization due to an inability to keep hydrated. As a general rule of thumb, if baby is able to take anything by mouth, it should be breastmilk when at all possible.

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I had a very similar situation. The real breakthrough I had, once my LO actually latched on (which took many weeks) was when I realized that I was creating more milk because my body responded to the baby latching on and would not respond to the pump in the same way. Baby on breast = increase in supply.

You will never pump as much as your baby can extract. It's a different type of extraction.

Best of luck!

thanks, for the info. I am having another issue. I have started taking fenugreek 8 pills a day and I have noticed that my milk has definitely increased. I know this because my breasts fill full. Well my lo only bf at night right before bedtime and it isn't very long so because of that I am starting to have pain in my breast because I haven' been able to pump the extra milk out no matter what type of pump i've used. Please help!!!!