Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Re: Trouble with the Breast

Default Re: Trouble with the Breast

Hi Kim,

My LO was off to a good start, but we got thrush after just 2 or 3 weeks. I lost my milk supply completely (3 times) before 2 mo. My son is 4 mo old now.

I'm not pumping or taking any supplements, but my son is almost completely off formula now - a bottle every other day for a bit now.

Have you tried switch nursing? It sounds like it would work out well for your LO. After her sucking pattern slows, switch breasts. Switch 3 - 4 times per feeding.

I used "mad nursing." I started out by setting a timer for every 5 minutes. Nurse 5 min on one side, 5 min on the other. Then drink a glass of water and take a break for 5 min. I basically did this around the clock, gradually lengthening feeding and break times. After a couple hours it was nurse 10 min each side, break for 10 min. The first day he only took two bottles(wow!) the next day only one.

I sort of invented it out of desperation, but it worked. If things continue, I won't need to buy another can of formula! cross fingers!

I believe you can do it!

I was reading your thread and I'm going thru what you did. Its been some time now since you posted...how is it going?

Things are going terrible. My lo was latching on every now and then usually when its bedtime and she is very sleepy. Now she is back to hating bfing then she fights me and cries like I am killing her. I don't know why it is so hard for me when I'm trying to give her the best thing for her in the long run. If I didn't want to bf then I wouldn't have a problem. I just hate giving her formula. I have been taking more milk plus to increase my milk supply and it's been working if I could get her to latch on and stay. It makes me sooooooooooo upset when I try and my husband get so upset because she is crying and tells me to just forget it. He is not supportive of this at all.
    I still try to pump but I just can't get any milk to come out that way, it doesn't matter what I do. However when I take a warm shower and massage my breasts then the milk comes out without a problem. Just not enough where I could squeeze it into a bottle that way either. I am trying so hard not to quit, but she is now 3 months old and hates it so much. It makes me feel so sad when I hear others who bf successfully and I can't. Please help me not to give up I know it is best but it is so frustrating.

I wish I could offer you something other than support but I am in the same situation you are pretty much. My LO latches on but doesn't transfer the all the milk, so if I don't supplement he loses weight. Then my supply goes down. I'm tossing the idea around of quitting also , especially now that I'm back to work Im not sure what to do. But you are not alone.
    Big Hugs and tons of support

Please remember that you are doing the best that you can! Even if your LO only gets some BM it is better than none at all. No matter what your LO will love you for being such a great mama.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

i recently started using the lact-aid supplemental nursing system but my daughter has given me a fit using it. Has any one ever used this successfully before?

I used the Medala SNS feeder. Is this the same? If it is....I had a terrible time with it and gave it up but then I was using the shield at the time which made it really difficult. I am back to supplementing with the bottle after each feeding per my LC rec. You just have to try it and IMO if its not working for you you'll have to find another way that works best for you.

Have you tried going to a weight check meeting and doing a weight/feed/weight to see how much your LO was getting? I did this today and I felt reassured. My LO took in 2.5 oz when we were there and he was only eating half ways because he was all about looking at all the pictures on the walls. So I'm feeling like at home he is probably getting about 3 to 3.5 oz at each feeding which I think is good.

Hugs as you continue to find your way with this. I'm encourage to keep trying if you can. And I agree with what someone else said...even a little BM is better than none. Maybe we can be in this together? Let me know how you're doing. Have you tried just giving her 1/2 oz of formula to help her be a little more patient and then try nursing her? Like just taking the edge off? Maybe even after an almost full feeding from the bottle, practice getting her to take the breast and you won't feel so anxious about her getting enough milk. I think its taking lots of practice for us. And the thing I'm worried most about is my LO's growth.

Really I never ever imagined that BF could be this difficult but I keep trudging along. Right there with you. Big Hugs.
    Last edited by millerjess73; August 24th, 2007 at 11:40 AM.

Hi I was just wondering have you tried anything else besides the More Milk to increase your supply? Oatmeal helps, fenugreek and some other herbs. Have you gone back to a LLL meeting? I really am sorry you are having such a hard time but you can still successfully breast feed. There are women who relactate after 6 months of never breasfeeding. It sounds like you're working really hard at this and I just wish you were having more incouraging results. Even if you added just one more pumping session a day it would help. I know there is also a perscription drug that will help milk production but I don't know the name.

In the begining I had to pump for at least 20 minutes to get anything at all. My pumping sessions would be 40+ minutes until I got my supply back up. Either way your daughter is very lucky to have a mama willing to work so hard to give her the best. Keep up the good work and please don't give up!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I have been trying fenugreek and the more milk plus. I have noticed that the few times that she has latched on that she has been getting milk. Once she even fell asleep bf. But she really is gaining her weight from the formula. She hasn't lost any weight since she has been born, just continuously gaining. So I don't have that concern on top of trying to bf. I haven't been back to a llc meeting yet, only because I went back to work.

I think that now she is experiencing the nipple confussion the reason she is giving me soooooooooooooo much trouble. I have tried giving her the bottle first to get a good 2 oz before I try to bf so she want be so fussy however after the switch she puts up a good fight trying to get back to the bottle so i usually give in and make the switch back. I feel so bad when she cries so histerically, like i'm killing her. I think if I had a couple of days with just her and I, I could get her to bf. I say this because my husband can't take her crying and wants me to stop trying to bf. It's good to know that if I keep trying to bf maybe one day I can be successful.

I was just trying to nurse, I remembered that the lc had me switch the way I would hold the bottle so what I have done is. I started using the playtex nurser bottles with the plastic bag inserts, and I'm to hold the bottle horizontal so it suppose to be more like the breast milk will come out instead of lying her down to take the bottle. That way gravity isn't working against me. Anyway, I did this technique and then I gradually switch to the breast with the lactaid sns. Because my daughter still isn't use to this of course she cries histerically, my husband said that if I continue to try and nurse her she will hate me because everytime she see my face she will remember me trying to make her breast feed and she does not want it. I told him that I will continue to try until I get ready to quit. Would what he is saying have some truth to it? Because I would hate to have my daughter hate me