Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will a hospital grade pump help increase supply?

Question Will a hospital grade pump help increase supply?

I am thinking about renting or even buying a hospital grade pump and before I do, I was wondering if it would really make a difference in increasing my supply? I currently use the Medela PIS advanced but I only get 1-2 ounces combined every two to three hours. My daughter will not BF (see my other post low supply, possible thrush, and pumping for those woes).

Default Re: Will a hospital grade pump help increase supply?

It may be worth a try in your circumstances. I asked this question a couple of months ago, though, and most people said they did not see much of a difference. I have also heard that your body adjusts to the pump you use so changing pumps is not always beneficial.

Things I did instead of renting the pump:
    Drink lots of water
    went off minipill
    started taking fenugreek
    trying to eat healthier
    pump during early morning hours (around 2-3 am) when prolactin levels are higher will help increase supply
    pump/nurse more often

Good luck!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey's Mom View Post
    It may be worth a try in your circumstances. I asked this question a couple of months ago, though, and most people said they did not see much of a difference. I have also heard that your body adjusts to the pump you use so changing pumps is not always beneficial.

Things I did instead of renting the pump:
    Drink lots of water
    went off minipill
    started taking fenugreek
    trying to eat healthier
    pump during early morning hours (around 2-3 am) when prolactin levels are higher will help increase supply
    pump/nurse more often

Good luck!
    Did you notice a difference when you went off the minipill?
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

Quote Originally Posted by Tippee View Post
    I tried to do all of the things at one time. I did notice a little increase but I do not know if it was because of the pill or one of the other things. I think my supply is better when I drink more water more than anything. I think the fenugreek and pumping at night probably helped more than stopping the pill for me.

I had another reason for stopping the pill. I was hoping that if I was not taking it I would lose some weight. No success with that yet, though. So, I may go back on it.

I was told to try the other things first and if they did not work then try stopping the pill. I was told that you can stop then restart at any time so it was not a big deal for me to stop. Anyone thinking of this may want to check with their OB for sure though.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Thanks for the quick response! I am just having a problem with my left breast not producing...
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I had a problem with my left breast too. I actually found that getting larger breast shields made a big difference. It now actually gives more milk than the right one does. I was using the standard shields that come with the Pump In Style but went up to the Large size.

I am spoiled and have rented a Medela Classic which I keep in the living room and have a Pump In Style which I use for travelling and keep in the bedroom. I have found that my breasts get used to whichever pump I use the most so I switch after a while and seem to get more. It's a costly option though.

Make sure that your nipple is not hitting the sides of the shields when you pump. If they are, try the large or extra large size shields.

i like my pump the first years it is a double but i ony use one side and it i think is like the one i used in the hospital

Quote Originally Posted by emama View Post
    I had a problem with my left breast too. I actually found that getting larger breast shields made a big difference. It now actually gives more milk than the right one does. I was using the standard shields that come with the Pump In Style but went up to the Large size.

I am spoiled and have rented a Medela Classic which I keep in the living room and have a Pump In Style which I use for travelling and keep in the bedroom. I have found that my breasts get used to whichever pump I use the most so I switch after a while and seem to get more. It's a costly option though.

Make sure that your nipple is not hitting the sides of the shields when you pump. If they are, try the large or extra large size shields.
    Thanks for the response, emama!! I am also spoiled! I work for WIC and they have loaned me a Medela Lactina for home and I use the Medela Symphony at work. Both VERY GOOD pumps! I have had 2 interviews for a different job in the past 2 weeks and don't know what I will do if I get it! Anyway, thanks for the advice! My nipples definitely do hit the sides of the flange and it does tend to hurt at times. I am definitely going to order the bigger flanges! Thanks so much for helping the light go off in his pea brain!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

Quote Originally Posted by Tippee View Post
    Many mothers find that hormonal contraceptives decrease their milk supplies--even the mini pill.

I am thinking about renting or even buying a hospital grade pump and before I do, I was wondering if it would really make a difference in increasing my supply?
    Hospital grade pumps have helped a lot of women who need to be able to pump more milk. Check out this link for more information: www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

How old is your baby again? 1-2 ounces per pumping session is pretty average for a younger baby. The key may be to pump more often (not necessarily longer sessions, but more frequent). I have more to say about thrush and pumping, but I'll look for your other post.

Hang in there,

Tiana

She is 5 weeks old. I would like to build/maintain a good supply by the time I return to work in early December.