Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supplement??

Unhappy Supplement??

Should I supplement my 3 mo old with formula? For about a week he can't seem to get full. My hubby says to start him on solids (cereal). He drools and stares and crys the WHOLE time I eat. he wants to nurse every 45 min for about 20 min. my nipples feel as if they are going to fall off. It seems he eats more and more. I knpw i'm making more milk cuz i have started to leak again. Oh, and he weighs 17 lbs. He is about the same size as a 6 mo old. Help please. Don't want to start the formula cycle.

Default Re: Supplement??

It sounds like a growth spurt! (See kellymom) There is a lot of evidence to support delaying solids until around 6mos. 3mos is pretty early! Have you asked your pediatrician?

I agree with noodlenerd. It really sounds like a growth spurt...and honestly, no matter what ANYONE tells you, it is normal for babies to nurse every hour at some point during growth spurts. They are signalling your body to increase its milk production to meet their needs., and like you said, you are leaking again, so you know it is working and you're producing more milk.

According to the most recent research, 3 mos. olds digestive tracts are really not ready for solids, and the AAP actually recommends exclusive breastfeeding for 6 mos. with solids complementing breastmilk after 6 mos. due to that fact. Some moms give solids before or after 6 mos., but IMO too, I would say that 3 mos. is always much too early.

Once you start adding solids to a young baby's diet, because there is no single solid food for babies that equals the calories and nutrition of breastmilk(or formula), you actually run the risk of underfeeding baby which can lead to malnutrition, if you're replace breastmilk with a lower calorie/nutrition food...like would happen when you introduce a cereal that takes longer to digest and less breastmilk is taken in....kwim?

At 3 mos old, I'm not sure that baby actually understands what you're doing when your eating...maybe, but I'm not so positive, since they've never ever had food given to them by that way, and I'm wondering if its more likey that baby is missing mommy and wants to be included more than baby actually wants to eat what your eating, kwim?

Another thing to consider, is that some babies actually start to teethe that early...and some babies actually have ongoing teething pain (like my sons) even if they don't have teeth erupt for many months. There are also alot of other reasons why baby could be in discomfort, so maybe it would be a good idea to think about that, if you determine that this isn't just a normal growth spurt (though it really sounds like it is ) Asking your doc. will ease your mind though I'm sure.

So remember, this will get better. Babies do go back to a longer pattern of nursing once they get through them, and it usually doesn't take all that long. I bet your LO is already on the way to nursing less often and giving you a break.

Please, if you have any questions or are curious about ANYTHONG, don't hesitate to ask, we're all here to help.

I would say you should definitely NOT start cereal or other solids. Their digestive system is not mature enough to handle solids until sometime between 4-6 months. See the link on how infants have open guts until 4-6 months: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#reasons
    Your supply will catch up in no time. And in case you continue to have problems formula will be the alternative not solids until at least 4 months.

I completely agree with Mommie 2. Sounds like a growth spurt! Make sure that your latch is still good, since you said your nipples are about to fall off. When the twins were younger and went through their growth spurts, I never got off the couch...I tandem nursed them on my EZ-to-nurse pillow. I thought it would never end but it does slow down as your body accomodates your baby's demands. Your doing great!

I third the growth spurt thing. It is exactly when they are due one. Keep nursing that lo so your milk will increase.