Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My mom's the BOMB!!

Default My mom's the BOMB!!

Well, I have always loved and respected my mother. She has been my rock in many occasions. She was very skeptical to say the least about my BFing. Jokingly she stated that if I was still BFing past a year she would call SS on me. (She never really would, but it still hurt my feelings) Anyway, AJ turned one and I am trying to wean him some. He's becoming a big boy now and it's time to start learning how to act like one, weaning included. I figured I would wean a meal a day until he was on his milk and then I would start night weaning. Welllll, little man began to wean perfectly the first 4 days. Eating and drinking like he should. Then the drool started. Then the grumpiness started. I do believe he's started teething again. Well to make a long story short, I was telling mom that he has reverted back to his old nursing way with the teething and she was like "well, maybe it's just not the right time right now." she said "it's just like any other thing with being a mommy, you have to have a strategy and sometimes you have to wait until the right time. You both will know when that is." I COULD HAVE KISSED HER!!! I was afraid she was going to start the chastizing and blah, blah, blah, but she didn't. Even my Ped said not to force the issue right now because it would just make both of us miserable. She said that nursing was a source of comfort for him when he's not feeling well. I just love my mom and my Ped!! OK, I'm done, I just had to brag.

Default Re: My mom's the BOMB!!

That is wonderful that they were encouraging you to continue

Two thumbs up to both your mom and your ped!

12 months isn't such a big boy, when you think about it. Take time to enjoy his littleness while it lasts.

Hmmmm. I'm not sure but that sure sounded like Shannon and AJ have joined the ranks of "extended nursing". Hate to tell you AJ will be teething until he's 2. And from now on the teething is 4 at a time. BRUTAL. Let go Hippie. It's OK. You can keep nursing, wearing and even co-sleeping. I won't tell you friends.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Hmmmm. I'm not sure but that sure sounded like Shannon and AJ have joined the ranks of "extended nursing". Hate to tell you AJ will be teething until he's 2. And from now on the teething is 4 at a time. BRUTAL. Let go Hippie. It's OK. You can keep nursing, wearing and even co-sleeping. I won't tell you friends.

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I hope you tell your mom how happy that makes you feel... I got warm fuzzies...
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

It must feel great to have that support. What a nice way for her to surprise you! The book Mothering Your Nursing Toddler might be interesting for you to read. It has a chapter on nursing into the second year, with topics such as getting through the peak time for criticism. The author also talks about how each child grows at his or her own rate emotionally, as well as physically or intellectually. We have several years to help them grow into into confident five or six year olds, ready to branch out into the wider world of school, etc. There's no hurry.
    Mary

Shannon, that is so wonderful. Those of us who've faced loved ones' criticisms know how deeply gratifying it feels to have those people come around. My stepmom was not always tremendously supportive, first saying that I would be done nursing when DD got teeth, then when DD was about 15 mos old or so she asked her "when are you going to be done doing that?" Then last month, she wrote the most amazing letter to her state senator supporting a breastfeeding protection bill in our state. I was near tears.
    I am LMAO at Shelly's remarks. Gotta love it. And Jolie is dead on with the reference to "peak time for criticism." For me it seemed that was right around one year.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on