Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding a 12 month old: pregnancy and nutrition

Default Breastfeeding a 12 month old: pregnancy and nutrition

This kinda follows on from a few earlier threads about nutrition but I would appreciate people's advice on my specific situation so here goes: I have a one year old child who was exclusively bf 'til 6 months. At 9 months, she was eating three solid meals a day and having regular bf every 4 hours or so. It was then that she started to 'self-wean' ie, I would offer a bf and she would reject. So, here we are at 12 months and I feed her once in the morning and once before bed. However, she has started to reject these feeds also.

Last week, I found out I'm 8 weeks pregnant and I thought that maybe she can sense a change in hormones or milk, making her reluctant? Could there be any truth in this theory?

Secondly, all my friends, with little ones the same age, are either using follow-on or regular milk morning and evening. Can I be sure that the nutrition my dd's getting is equal to this?

I'm finding this stage of things a little confusing to say the least. Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Default Re: Breastfeeding a 12 month old: pregnancy and nutrition

My first was 12 months when I became preg w/ second child. He was an avid nurser up until around 3 months preg, then he weaned with no encouragement. In retrospect, I wonder the same thing --if my milk tasted different and so he weaned, or if he was just ready to move on. 2nd is now 14 months and bfing like a baby--he likes as many feeds as possible in a 24 hour period. PS--Doc told me to wean when I was preg with the second child. My first was there at that doc appt. That night was the first night ever he went to sleep w/o bfing to sleep. Maybe he listened to the doctor, right or wrong. He's not breastfed again until recently--he's always asking to now. He's quite jealous of the time his younger brother spends at the boob.

Marjean,
    Congrats on the pregnancy and welcome to the forum!
    First, yes it is possible that pregnancy hormones are affecting the taste and amount of milk you are producing for you 12 month old.
    Second, your breastmilk is far superior to the follow-on (I assume you mean "toddler formula") or cow's milk your friends are using for your 12 month old. The nutrients in breastmilk actually become more concentrated after 1 year. Many people think that bfing past one year is only for comfort, but it actually is still a major source of nutrition and antibodies for your LO, even if only feeding a couple of times per day. It also decreases your risk of premonopausal breast cancer.
    My thought is that, if you want to wean your 12 mo. old now, then encourage her lack of interest by using a "don't offer, don't refuse" approach. However, be aware that you will be compromising the benefits mentioned above as well as your "secret weapon" for illnesses and such.
    If you don't want to wean yet, keep offering as much as possible.
    You have done a great job to bf this long! Best wishes.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

heres a link from the web page:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBpregnancy.html

heres a good link from kelly moms.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/tandem/index.html

do what works best for you and your dd.

I have been offline for a few days and returned to some really helpful responses - thank you so much!

Thanks for the information on nutrition - having always bf, I've always found it impossible to know how much my daughter is getting. I guess the key is to trust that she's getting enough - she's the expert - she's certainly thriving and happy, so that's good enough for me.

And an update on the frequency of feeds - she's back demanding the twice daily feeds. If she skips the one in the morning, I offer it to her around 10/11am and she's so thirsty! Perhaps later into pregnancy the milk changes again, or perhaps she's become used to the different taste? Either way, I'm still feeding, so that's great

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by marjean View Post
    Perhaps later into pregnancy the milk changes again, or perhaps she's become used to the different taste? Either way, I'm still feeding, so that's great

Thanks again.
    Glad to hear that things are plugging along, your milk is likely to ebb and flow throughout your pregnancy. Wonderful that you are sticking with it!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...