Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't like pacifer but loves sucking his thumb

Default Doesn't like pacifer but loves sucking his thumb

My 4 month old loves sucking his thumb and will take a pacifer for less than a minute before he lets it pop out of his mouth. I try to switch his finger with the pacifier but in the end he always goes for that finger.

It doesn't bother me to much other than the fact that I know it's more difficult to stop thumb sucking since a pacifer can be taken away.

I think it's kind of cool that the thumb has given him more control over soothing himself and I never have to worry about it getting lost, but I know it will be tougher to stop.

Thoughts?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Doesn't like pacifer but loves sucking his thumb

Seems like your LO has stated his personal preference

From what I understand, stopping a pacifier and stopping thumb sucking can both be challenging. Personally, I find it more odd to see an older child (like 4 or 5 years old) with a pacifier than with a thumb.

My neice was a major thumbsucker and stopped voluntarily (at least in public) when she went to kidnergarten. Apparently peer pressure can be a good thing. She would still occasionally suck her thumb when sleepy at home.

We only offered DS a paci once in the hospital during a long and tough night under the bili lights. He didn't want anything to do with the pacifier, and we never again offered. When DS first discovered his hands he sucked on his fingers alot, but now at 10.5 mo he really isn't that "sucky".
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My son was a thumb sucker and gave it up on his own at 6 or 7-we will be living at the ortho's office this summer! We knew he would be one because in every sono he had his thumb in his mouth!

My daughter is a binky baby. I just dislike pacis for some reason-don't know why. She had the strongest sucking urge and could not for the life of her figure out how to suck her fingers. So, in desperation, we gave her the binky and she is happy. It didn't affect her nursing-she nursed just fine and gained back her birth weight plus 1.7 in two weeks! She figured out fingers taste better to her and is phasing out the binky in favor of her thumb. She only uses it during her gassy periods-it helps soothe her.

I think it's so awesome when they figure out how to soothe themselves-they are growing up!

I LOVE that DS sucks his fingers. I really hate pacis. FWIW my mother finally got me to give up my paci at 3 and then I started sucking my thumb...go figure. So what if they have to have braces? That's my thinking....in the "here and now" my kid can soothe himself and I don't have to fumble for a binky in the middle of the night or worry about where it fell.

If it doesn't bother you...go for it. Can he really be 4 months already?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Hello!! Thumb sucking is sooo cute when their a baby, but once they begin elementary school it's not so cute anymore. My older son sucked his middle and ring finger until he was 8 years old. And the only reason he stopped was because he got his tonsils taken out. It was too painful to suck his finger so he stopped cold turkey - thank goodness!! Hopefully your precious one will stop. Either way good luck and god bless you.

My son is also a thumbsucker. Has been since 6 weeks old. Just popped out the paci and began loving the thumb. Many people have asked me how I plan to stop it because it's bad, but I am just letting it be. I actually don't mind it because it helps him sleep through the night. Instead of crying for me, I hear him sucking away on the intercom. Besides, my mom sucked her thumb (I caught her a few times while she was napping) well into her 40's And she has the most beautiful set of teeth in the family!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

My lo started using a paci at about 3 weeks...then at about 4 months he stopped wanting it. He sucks his thumb sometimes, but it's usually just for exploration...I wish he would sooth himself sometimes, but so far, he's figured out that's what Mommy's for.

Let him suck his thumb! It's great that he's found it. Throw that artificial soother away. Your LO has spoken. It's way too soon to be worried about breaking the habit.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Its so not true that its easier to get them to stop using a pacifier than it is a thumb/finger. Its only easier if you plan to listen to a lot of crying/fussing/whining, and I don't plan to put my dd through that. I am still at the nurse who recommended the paci over dd's thumb, which she was sucking when she was born. I wish she was a thumb/finger sucker...instead of needing a bink.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thanks, Ladies.

As Sheryl Crow says, if it makes you happy it can't be that bad

He's a happy baby with his thumb so, so be it for now.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com