Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for the mamas. (Long)

Default Re: Question for the mamas. (Long)

Just wanted to throw this out... why does society seem to tell us that bigger is better when it comes to babies... and everything else of course! Your baby is gaining weight just fine and if you are wanting to exclusively breastfeed I don't see why you shouldn't. I'm personally glad my EBF son is on the leaner side- hopefully that will carry over into later in life.

I received a great comment the other day. Usually people comment on how small Henry is when they find out he's 7.5 months old- he's about 16.5 pounds (25% at 6 mo so not teeny but smaller). Then the other day this women came over to say hi, and asked how old he was. I said 7 months and she said "wow he's the same size as my friend's four month old! She must be feeding her too much!" How great is that?

Keep an eye on the wet and dirty diapers, get weight checked as needed and just enjoy breastfeeding!!!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I am enjoying it! Thanks for the encouragement!!

Yesterday he had like 8-9 wet diapers I stopped counting when it got to know where I knew he was having enough and one lil poopy. But today he has had 2 so far! And he's so happy and content. So I'm going with he has got enough. I got a scale from my aunt cause she had triplets 9 years ago, so I'm thinking about weighing him in a few days to see where he is and all. But I'm just going with my gut instinct. And his father is very tall and lean! So I'm guessing thats where DS is going to be heading and I'm just gonna be the little one of the family eventually. :P

Smile Re: Question for the mamas. (Long)

I would change doctors. 2 LBS is GR8. I would really start to question a doctor with so little knowledge that he would actually recommend formula after such a gr8 weight gain. Keep up the good work and by all means get some sleep when your child has blessed you with 5 to 6 hours in a row. Keepn up the good work hun.

I would change doctors, I see no reason why they would have told you to supplement.

Your baby's weights are identical to my son's, he weighed 6lbs 3oz at birth, dropped to 5lbs 13oz in the hospital before going home and I honestly don't even remember what is weight was at his 2 week checkup, nor his 1 month. I'm assuming less than your LO becuase his weight has always followed the 5th percentile.

Did you doctor tell you why to supplement? Does he want the baby to take more and think you're not pumping enough? Makes no sense to me, I'd tell the doc to shove it and find another, your baby's weight gain has been awesome. Just my two cents :-

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

I was thinking that maybe we should change doctors, but convincing DF of that would probably be hard cause I don't think he will see a reason, and he likes her. Maybe she said it cause I think I said he was only having 5-6 wet diapers a day but I know he has more, he was just crying alot cause we woke him up from a nap he was having on me, to take his clothes off. But I have no idea what would make her say that. I'm gonna make my DF read this thread today since has time too.

Ok, This is DF. Hi all. Wow, what good advice. I just got done reading all your replies and honestly it makes me so happy to hear that my Alison (mama to my son Hunter J.) is doing so well with feeding our son. Thankyou for all of your positive encouragement and also for putting my mind at ease. Thanks Again.

Sincerely,
    Cory (dada)