Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the mamas. (Long)

Default Question for the mamas. (Long)

Okay I had my one month check up yesterday. The doctor told me to supplement with formula each time I nurse. I'm thinking she was assuming that I have been nursing this whole time, but I've been pumping and giving him about 3 oz, but he has been known to drink up to 4oz and on occasion 5-6. She also said to feed him when he wanted to be fed, which I do, I don't starve him. Now I just don't think I should supplement him but my DF seems that we should. Good thing that I take care of the baby most of the time haha. I mean he hasn't had that bad of a weight gain. He was born at 6 lbs 3 oz, his lowest point was 5lbs 15 oz I believe, and he's now 7lbs 15.5 oz. It's not that bad is it? He's in the 25th percentile the doc said. I think I'll just make sure during the day I nurse him every 2 hours since he can go 3 hours without it. But at night he can sleep in 4-5 hour increments and I don't really feel like waking him up at night to get something to eat, but if it'll help him gain more weight than maybe I should? I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that it's okay that my baby is not gaining too much weight. And I defiently will be on the look out of his diaper output now that I'm nursing him.

Thanks for the help ladies.

Default Re: Question for the mamas. (Long)

So we count the weight gain from the lowest amount. You guys put on 2 pounds in one month! Holy cats and dogs! I don't see why supplementing is needed, yoll are like PACKING it on! Way to go mama!

I agree... call your local leader too she can help you sort it out.
    Healthy weight gaining babies don't need formula!!!!!!

No need for formula at all! That is a great weight gain! Keep up the great work mama!!

I agree with the PP's. I really don't understand your doctor's recommendation to supplement. Average weight gain for a breastfed baby is 6 oz. per week. Your baby is actually above that. Why would you need formula???? Formula should only be used when absolutely necessary because it can actually cause problems with supply when there were none before. If the baby starts taking some formula, he will take less breastmilk and your body will then adjust to make less milk.

Am I understanding, though, that previously you were pumping and feeding the expressed milk by bottle but now you have switched to nursing directly from the breast? If so, you may want to keep a watch on the wet and dirty diapers and maybe have another weight check soon just to make sure that he handled the switch ok and is sucking/transferring milk effectively. But it really sounds like everything is going great!

I agree with all pp, that is great weight gain and no reason to supplement with formula. The percentile doesnt even matter right now because they want to see a constant curve, since your lo is just a month old, he doesnt' have one yet. I would definatlely hold off on the supp, you sound like you are doing a great job without it. Don't doubt yourself!!!!!

Here is a link that might help put you at ease, your lo is on the high end of average weight gain for bf babes
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html

you sounds like you are doing great with a 2 lb gain in a month!!!! forget the formula. U ROCK!
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Dyl gained a bit more than that, but not much. I think that sounds right.If your doctor is worried, could you pump out and write down (just for like a day) how many ounces he takes..or how long he eats

just a throught. at my dd 1 mo check up the dr recommended giving her a bottle of ebm every night to get her use to taking a bottle b/c once they get set in their ways it is hard to get them to change. maybe this is what she was referring to. 2 lbs is what my dd gained the first mo and her pedi was very happy with this weight gain.