Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gassiness?

Post Gassiness?

Another problem with my sweetie-gas! I know that, with her, when she squirms while bf I need to take her off and burp her-we do this 4-5 times per side, which takes her anywhere from 15-25 minutes to finish eating. Usually she does huge man-like burps. Sometimes she won't burp when she is squirmy. I give her Mylicon after she's done and sometimes it doesn't bring up the burps. If she can't get them to come up , they always cause her pain when they try passing out the other end! Like I said, we've done gas drops, and also leg movements and tummy pressure. Any other hints? It's making her miserable-I know she'll outgrow it by the end of month 3 but that is 4 more weeks of discomfort. It wakes her up during her naps, which might be why she isn't staying down most of the time. She's also a once a week pooper-don't know if that makes any difference but the gas is worse when poop day roles around. Thanks!

Default Re: Gassiness?

have you tried gripe water?
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

I had problems with gas when breastfeeding exactly as you describe it....My baby would scream with pain and she would eventually pass so much gas through both ends, I thought she was going to explode. I did two things:

1) I pre-pumped to get to the let-down before she fed...Sometimes, as it was told to me, the baby may be getting too much air if the let down takes too long to come down...

2) I know its impossible to get on a schedule, but my nurse had me try to get her to feed every two hours on the button...If she cried early, I tried to pacify her any way I could, including a pacifier as a last resort....I also didnt let her go longer than 2 hours during the day....Once bedtime came, since she was full, I let her sleep until she woke up to eat...

After 5 days, she is now eating every 2 hours during the daytime and sleeping 4-5 hours at night before waking up...The gas also got better...

Hope this helps! Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen777 View Post
    have you tried gripe water?
    Sorry if this sounds dumb, but what is gripe water?
    Thanks!

Exclamation Re: Gassiness?

Thanks! I will try nursing every two hours. I had over supply issues a few weeks ago and my letdown has always HURT so I know that it happens almost immediately after she latches on.

I was BF every three hours today but she still isn't having enough wet diapers to make me happy-she's having 6 but I'd feel better with closer to eight, which is what she had before sleeping all night. Now that she's sleeping all night she's fussier during the day, a combo of gas and maybe hunger? I just wish she'd cry when she was hungry instead of fussing-the "hungry" cry seems to have disappeared and has been replaced with fussy noises!

I wonder if I should wake her if she takes a too long nap and is going to miss a feeding during the day? Will she adjust to eating every four hours during the day ever again?? She is eating for almost 40 minutes when she does nurse. So confused!

Hi. So I'm not trying to be contradictory or snarky, but many mothers find that feeding on demand is more successful than trying to work with a two or three hour schedule. Has your baby been gaining weight regularly? It seems like if you are gaining and your baby is happy and alert during wake hours, there isn't too much to stress on. As they get older they hold their pee longer. Have you considered a nurse in, where you curl up with baby all day and just nurse in the bed? At around 2 mo, alot of women try to aim for around 8-12 nursing sessions during 24 hours.
    I noticed that you said something about your letdown happening quickly and I thought I would add that there is a possibility that your milk comes out so fast that your baby is doing a bunch of gulping (thus the extra air). We call that Over Active Let Down and here is some info on it. Also something else to consider is that while the baby is learning the physiological muscle movements of simple gas expulsion, the symptoms look wayyyyy worse than they are. You see much straining and squirming, grunting, fussing and crying, its normal for babies to go through the gassy period. So take some relief from knowing that until they figure it out they will be over exerting to get it out. Sort of like watching a baseball player take their first swing at a tennis ball in the courts; they just over do it!
    Last edited by carpentergirl; June 6th, 2007 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hcs_04212007 View Post
    1) I pre-pumped to get to the let-down before she fed...Sometimes, as it was told to me, the baby may be getting too much air if the let down takes too long to come down...
    I would review my latch with a IBLCL licensed lactation consultant before I went through the hassle of pumping to try and relieve potential gas. An incorrect latch is more likely the culprit than just regular old nursing. See also the link I left in the previous post about over active let down. hth

Try giving the mylicon a few minutes BEFORE the feeding. I know that is not what the instructions say, but it makes sense. This is what my Ped recommended fro my lo's gas too.

sorry about that gripe water is a natural gas remedy that can be found in alot of vitamin places. it seemed to work well for my lo and a bunch of other mommies on here use it too. i found mine at the vitamin shoppe. hth
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

I have the same problem with my DS who is 10 weeks. My Doctor told me that she thinks Mylicon might not really work and might just be like a placebo affect...what are everyone's thoughts on this? I think that doing the leg work-outs have been more effective for us, but I'm really not sure.

Okay, I'm a little confused. If I understood how to direct quote people I would , but to the comment about eating every two hours...how would that help gas? Sorry if that's a dumb question.