Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question regarding Sudafed PE

Default Question regarding Sudafed PE

I have hay fever. My pediatrician was reluctant to have me take Claritin since ds is only 2 1/2 mos old, and he isn't wild about him being on an antihistamine through me yet. I need some relief, but I understand that Sudafed (psuedoephedrine HCl) can cause issues with milk supply, and I am finally alomost in sync with my baby from a major oversupply problem, and I don't want to mess with my supply. Does anyone know if Sudafed PE (phenylephrine HCl) can cause the same problems?

Can someone pass the tissues?

E

Default Re: Question regarding Sudafed PE

According to my 2006 Newest Edition of Medications and Mother's Milk by Thomas Hale, PhD:

Claritin (Loratadine only) is classified as L1 (safest in his risk category, with 5 being least safe). I can provide more details if you need them.

Claritin-D 12 hour and 24 hour are not rated in the L1 to L5 category. He has a separate section for cold medications. They both contain Loratadine and pseudoephedrine so he lists them as "probably safe but may suppress milk supply".

Sudafed PE: "probably safe; observe for sedation".

Phenylephrine: L3-this is because he has no data available, but he goes on to state "It is likely that small amounts will probably be transferred, but due to the poor oral bioavailability (<38%), it is not likely that it would produce clinical effects in a bf infant unless the maternal doses were quite high."

I hope this helps.

By the way, if you are looking for a great gift for the pediatrician who has *everything*, Dr. Hale's book is a great choice. Ped's go by what is listed usually in the drug specs put out by the company when checking on the safety of a drug. Dr. Hale has *so* much more research available in his book. It is a shame more doctors don't spend the $32.95 it would cost to keep this book on hand to help BF moms. Ok, that's my rant for the day!

Please let me know if I can give you more info!

Default Re: Question regarding Sudafed PE

This is just my personal experience - I've taken Benadryl a few times while BFing and haven't noticed any decrease in my milk supply, but I have noticed my baby is maybe sleepier the next day? Or it could be just my own worrying, you know? Like he'll sleep for an hour and a half when normally he'd sleep for an hour, that kind of thing. I think I've taken it 3 times in the past month, only when my allergy symptoms have gotten really bad.