Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 month old eats 6/7 times a day??

Question 2 month old eats 6/7 times a day??

My lo is two months old and from what I understand, she has to eat eight times a day, but sometimes she seems to only eat six, is this ok? For example, today she woke up at 7am to eat, then I put her back to sleep for a couple hours, then she ate again at 11am, 1:30 pm, 4:30pm, 7pm, 9pm and after that feeding I put her to bed.

Default Re: 2 month old eats 6/7 times a day??

There is really no set rule, however mothers that feed between 8-12 times per day have babies that gain weight pretty regularly. Your baby may be more efficient than you know. More important than counting nursing sessions is counting wet/dirty diapers. A baby should have a minimum of 5-6 wet diapers and 2-3 soiled diapers. (The poopy diapers can change as their digestive tract matures so that figure can change to one poop every several days)
    So that said, if you are gaining weight and seeing the diapers don't worry. If you are thinking you'd like to see more wets just offer the breast more often and see what happens.

How is her diaper output?

Here is an article that can help you decide if your baby is getting enough breastmilk:
    http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/enough.html

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

my DS is 7 weeks old, and that's now often he eats too (6/7 times a day). His diapers are pretty wet, and his poopy diapers are Messy!.

Mine is two months old and eats every two hours during the day-which adds up to 7-8 feedings. She was doing 6 but didn't have enough wet diapers to make me happy so I offered the breast more and she's back up to about 7-9 wet diapers a day. She only poos once a week though-and it's a doozy! If you want to sneak in another feeding, try adding one at 10:30pm and then do bedtime-that would be close to our routine.