Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ped says give 4-6 oz. of BM each feed??

Default Ped says give 4-6 oz. of BM each feed??

DS is 8 weeks, 11 lbs. 6 oz and I will be returning to work in a week or so. I asked her how much BM to give him in a bottle and she said "For his weight, about 4-6 oz. but start with 4 oz."

That seems like ALOT to me. Is that right?

Default Re: Ped says give 4-6 oz. of BM each feed??

sounds right to me, but I guess it varies for each baby& each feeding. My LO is almost 5 months weighs about 15lbs & can take anywhere from 4 to 8oz at a sitting. It just depends how hungry he is and when he ate last. On average he eats about 6 oz. Hope this helps

my son is 10 weeks and he eats about 5 ounces when he takes a bottle.

Thought I weigh in, since my LO would be on the low side compared to everyone else.

He's 5 mos and takes 1-2 oz bottles at daycare. (He's typically there ~ 6 hrs.) He has adjusted and nurses more frequently before and after. I leave a bottle of extra milk on Mondays so that they can add a few ounces if he wants more. Usually it's still there at the end of the week. (Oh, he added a nighttime feeding, too, once I went back to work.) Good weight gain, lots of wet dipes, etc.

It was daycare who suggested bringing the small bottles (and an extra or two) the first week... said that they would hate to waste it. Guess it just depends on your LO. Good luck!

My dd is almost 7-1/2 months. She eats 4-5 oz. every 2 hours while I'm gone. But she's happiest with 5. Somehow she knows the difference b/w 4.25 and 5--when I haven't been able to pump that much! But she's was eating 4 oz. at your LO's age. Do you need tips on how to increase your pumping output?
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

don't be afriad to call your local leader to shes around to help.
    are you going to pump? how long are you going to be gone from baby?
    how many feeds will baby miss?

Start with 2 oz and see how it goes.
    most breastfeed babies take less milk from the bottle then what a formula fed baby would take.
    And that way there is less waste of pumped milk if baby doesn't want it all.

Mine is 9 weeks and eats about 4-5oz. at a feeding. HTH! I read that they normally eat 3-4oz. the first month and than add an ounce a month.

I read somewhere that their intake in 24 hours should be their weight in pounds, multiplied by 2 to 2.5. Just to make the math easy, let's say your LO is 11.5 lbs.

11.5 lbs * 2 = 23 oz
    11.5 lbs * 2.5 = 28.75 oz

So, if baby eats 8 times per day, the "average" feeding will be between 2.9 and 3.6 oz. If baby eats 6 times per day, you're looking at 3.8 to 4.8 oz.