Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low milk supply

Default Low milk supply

Hello,

My baby was a preemie when she was born still is. She was 4.7pds now she is 6.7 pds she is 1 month. SHe has alot of wet diapers and lots of poopy no problem with that. The problem I'm having is my milk supply is getting low and dont know why. I need to know what to eat. I have been eating very less of everything in fact I'm not even hungry. What should I be eating. This is my 2nd baby but with the first i did not breastfeed. Does someone have any suggestions please!!!! I 'm currently pumping every 3 hrs and have 6 oz. I use to have 10 oz. Whats wrong????????/ When I'm not exhausted I breastfeed. Please email me someone..

Thank you,
    Chunky

Default Re: Low milk supply

is baby nursing any at the breast?
    Lots of moms feal they have a low supply when they realy are doing just fine!
    here is a good link
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

heres a link about premature babies
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBpremature.html

pumping every 3 hours might not be enough if the baby isn't nursing at the breast at all.
    heres a good link too
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

and here is a link about what to do if baby isn't able to nurse at the breast
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

let me know if I can help in any other way

Don't forget to make sure you're drinking ALOT of water. And getting some rest too (which is hard when you have lo's ). Maybe you have family or friends who can come to the house and entertain your older child so you can have some rest and time with baby alone. Don't worry too much about the housework right now...believe me the dishes will be there when you are ready for them....

Perhaps try Fenugreek or Mother's Milk Tea?

When I was having low supply issues I called my hospitals' LC, and she said actually NOT to drink too much water. Confusing, I know!

Welcome to the forum! Hang in there! From the wet and poopy diapers, it sounds like you're doing fine. I pump b/c I work during the day... And I've found that I pump the most in the middle of the night (between 1 & 5 a.m.) and after I've eaten high calorie dairy products. That's probably really bad to admit.

But last night I ate some Edy's "Loaded with Butterfingers" ice cream after a salad for dinner... And I pumped 7 oz--6 off one breast! (Baby had been nursing on the other while I slept.) I usually only pump 4-5 oz total at night... So it gives me a good excuse to eat ice cream.

Another food that boosts my milk production is a "cheesy potato bake" casserole dish. It's probably the increased calories that does it.

And oatmeal (the slow-cook, whole grain kind) or oatmeal cookies are supposed to boost supply. I use it, but have found better results with the other 2 foods... Good luck! Please keep us posted on your progress...
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

I've also been drinking a smoothie that Dr. Sears' Breastfeeding Book says boosts milk supply by 25% because it contains soy isolate powder... It's worked great so far! You're supposed to drink the whole blender full in one sitting--and I don't--but you get better results when you do. Send me a private message if you want the recipe!
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

I am sure on one of the links andrea gave will mention this but just quickly I wanted to say that what may seem like a drop in your supply is most likely just your supply and baby working things out. That is to say that your body is figuring out what baby needs. But still check out the links to see that babys output is good - there are links in my siggy to find a local LLL or IBCLC in your area if you'd like a phone call in lieu of online communication.

GOod luck - and welcome to the boards
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.