Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you call it?

Default what do you call it?

I know I have a few months to go (DS is 3mo) before he's going to start asking, but babies do start to recognize words long before they can say them. I'm trying to decide what I want him to ask for. I sometimes tell him we're going to have breakfast, tea, dinner or whatever it is. Sometimes the last meal of the evening is referred to as "last call" - a play on all the drunkard jokes we make because of his guzzling, burping, throwing up and hiccuping. We also just call it booby, which I think is simplest, but I'm not entirely sure I want to teach my baby to ask for booby. But I also don't think I would last with anything really cheesy. any suggestions?

Default Re: what do you call it?

How about "nurse?" My oldest son called it "num-nums" when he was a nursing baby, but now he calls them my "nurse." "Is that your nurse, mama?" It's clinical without being offensive.

good question, I should start thinking about what I want him to call it too lol I have been calling it num nums & boobies or breakfast/lunch/dinner depending on the time of day
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Where does num-num come from?

I had always heard people use it and I didn't plan to...but whenever I'd give my son a bite of food I'd say "num, num!" and he just started applying it to nursing. He's start jumping up and down and shouting Num! Num! Num! Especially if I was changing for bed.

LOL that's cute

Gavin is only a lil over 5 weeks and he will just STARE at my chest & lick his lips, it cracks me up!
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

I've heard lots of different names for nursing; nursies, boob, drink, eat, bite, etc... Bridget is only four months old but if I ask her if she wants a boobie, she gets the biggest grin on her face ever, she knows what it is! Just don't do what my sister-in-law did...she referred to her breasts as ummm...tits ( ) and her children now do that too and in public. She thinks it's funny, I think it's really embarrassing and kinda crude to teach your children to call them that! Oh and I am guessing here but I think "num-nums" comes from "yum-yum" but who knows!!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

I decided early on that I did NOT want a toddler who would holler, "Mommy, booby!" in public. So loooong before he could talk, I decided we would call nursing "num-num" and call my breasts "num-nums." And we ended up calling breastmilk "nummy milk."

My DH heard me saying this strange word to our very young baby and asked me why I bothered making up a new word for it. When I explained that I didn't want DS to use an embarrassing word when he was older, my DH was fairly shocked that I thought we might still be nursing when our son could talk. Boy was he in for a surprise! (we nursed until after DS's fourth birthday)

--Rebecca

I think "bite" is the absolute last word I'd want to use. Who wants to go there and confuse the poor kid? I think I'd draw the line at tits, too. But I'd like a real word. I'm not sure if I really mind booby, but maybe just plain milk.

Milk sounds very good and non-embarrassing. I think you may have found a winner!!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)