Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparation Before the Baby Gets Here

Question Preparation Before the Baby Gets Here

Is there anything I need to do before the baby gets here and I start breastfeeding? I take eating right seriously so I'm already doing that and will continue to do so, but is there anything else I should prepare for, in terms of breastfeeding, before the big event?

Default Re: Preparation Before the Baby Gets Here

Forgot to add that I found a LLC group in my area and I will be seeing them for the first time in July.

i think you're doing the #1 best thing now...having someone who can help you if you run into difficulties. I did that and that's the ONLY reason I'm still bfing today. I would recommend getting some Lansinoh to help inthe early weeks. It's kinda like chapstick for your nips! hehe...though I've heard some people just use breast milk. I used lansinoh after every feeding for the first few weeks and I had very minimal soreness and no cracks or bleeding. breastfeeding can be tough...but it is so worth it when you finally get to the place where you go, "ahhhhh."

SUPPORT is the big thing if u have that and it sounds like u do u will be good! i almost gave up before i found this site and it really helped me and ive been bf for 6mo. now so if u ever run into problems and cant reach anyone this is the place to check!

DON'T GIVE UP! I gave up early when I had my son, I bf him for 3 wks! I wanted to go longer, but I had so many doubts, and no one really supported me! I was so afraid that I wasn't producing enough, a misconception I think ALL 1st timers go through. I have been bf my lil girl for 8 wks now!

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoma View Post
    DON'T GIVE UP! I gave up early when I had my son, I bf him for 3 wks! I wanted to go longer, but I had so many doubts, and no one really supported me! I was so afraid that I wasn't producing enough, a misconception I think ALL 1st timers go through. I have been bf my lil girl for 8 wks now!
    congrats!!! keep up ur doing good!

I agree completely with the others- support is key to your success! Take a breastfeeding class if you can. And recruit family or friends to help you with meals or errands or just throwing in a load of laundry. Those first few weeks are the hardest as you try to recover and get used to your new little one! At the time, it may seem like it will never get better, but it will!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoma View Post
    I love the note about your son!!!! It reminds me of my 2 year old daughter- she tells everybody "Baby eat a boobie" and is always getting her dolls to "eat a boobie".

read some books.... there are lots in the La Leche League cataloge.
    You local group should have a lending library were you can borrow the books for free.
    Learn all you can about good latch before the baby comes.

I agree, learn what you can now---it helps if DH learns too so he can help when you're sleep deprived and forgetting everything!!

You can also get some nursing pads (I leaked like a faucet in the beginning) and a couple of nursing bras (the sleep bras are great, watch out for underwire)---more than one if you can afford it cause you'll soil them for sure. It's hard to shop once LO gets here. I had to send my DH out bra shopping for me. Not his favorite thing in the world, but he ended up doing a great job.

Good Luck!