Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing in public, what a mess

Default Nursing in public, what a mess

How can I nurse in public without having a soaked t shirt and a milk dreanched baby? It is so embarassing nursing in public and what is worse it doing it while your baby chokes and milk sprays all over your pants and shirt and baby, oh... and that cloth to catch the milk.

Default Re: Nursing in public, what a mess

Nursing in public can be challenging with OALD. Some good quality nursing pads can help, as well as having a cloth diaper handy to catch any spray or spit-up before it becomes a huge mess. Many oversupplied mamas find it easiest to nurse in public while wearing loose-fitting clothing. Cuddling baby in a blanket or a sling can also allow for more discretion. Some mothers find that they are most comfortable if they go someplace more "private" to latch baby on and deal with the initial strong letdown, then rejoin the group when they feel a little less "full".

As baby matures and the two of you become more comfortable with breastfeeding, nursing in public will get easier. Your baby will be more able to deal with the strong letdown and your supply will even out to better meet baby's demand.

Hang in there,

Tiana

I swear a black t-shirt will save you tons of embarrassment!

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    I swear a black t-shirt will save you tons of embarrassment!
    Hahaha! I agree. You quickly learn which shirts don't look wet when they are soaked with milk.

Yes, I had that same problem when my first was a baby. I pretty much limited my outings to places like playgrounds where it didn't matter if I looked messy--pretty much any mom with a toddler at the park has something on her clothes, lol. As my baby got older I leaked less and less. I think by the time she was 9 or 10 months old I didn't leak at all. The great news is that I didn't have OAL at all with my second child. I haven't used a cloth or a breast pad at all with him. So hang in there and know that you're not the only one!!

I have a hooter hider (coverup thing that has boning so I can look in and work on her latch without losing a hand), I tuck a diaper into my bra and she wears a bib. It actually works pretty well.

I have the same problem, although I don't think my OS is quite as bad as yours, from the sound of it. All the same, my baby can be a messy eater, and it can make her fussy, so even if I cover with a blanket, her little hands get going and I'm just trying to keep up with her!

Just when I think my OS is regulating and I can easily NIP, I have another overflowing GigantiBoob (trademark; see my other posts ) and a mess on my hands. It's a little embarrasing to someone like me who isn't as comfortable baring herself to the public, plus it's just difficult to carry on a conversation and really be involved in it when I'm trying to sop up milk and calm the flailing baby.

I don't really have any solutions. I do try to position myself somewhere where I can have a little more privacy, such as a corner booth at a restaurant or in the back seat of my car if I think we're going to make a particularly big production of any given mealtime. And DH is usually there to help hold up a blanket if I need it. Otherwise, I just grit my teeth and try to be brave about showing the world what I got!

I'm told it gets better. I'll look forward to that day right along with you!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Talking Re: Nursing in public, what a mess

naaah.. not a mess at all hahaha... use breastfeeding bra and nursing apron will help you... but I really envy with all of you.. the OS.. waw.. I just can hardly imagine it happens to me...

I have OALD and an almost unmanagable OS. My LO is almost 11 weeks now and I have alot of plugged duct and mastitis problems. This is one of the things I do...I bought nipple guards (those dorky looking dome things that go over your nipples). I put an extra pad at the bottom of it making sure not to cover the holes and then I wear them out in public in my nursing bra. The reason I do it is so that I express as much milk without stimulation as possible but it also helps keep the mess managable I think. It has really helped me be more comfortable BFing in public AND it has somewhat helped keep the plugged ducts fewer and further between!
    Jackie

"Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love--you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want."
    ~ Marni Jackson"

I had the same trouble with size G boobs. I stopped caring after 2 go/return flights alone with DS this summer although I was very stressed out and embarrassed at first. You could try a nursing apron.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky