Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling weird about nursing my 17 month

Default Re: Feeling weird about nursing my 17 month

I nursed my older daughter until she was 27 months old and it made life easier for everyone. Towards the end it was only the early morning and bedtime nursing sessions but it was a great way for us to start the day together and wind down at night.

You need to do what you feel is right for your family, even if your mil disagrees.

I'm not sure if someone already posted this but the World Health Organization recomends breastfeeding for the first two years of life!

Now my LO is only 8 months old but when someone asks me how long I plan on BF'ing I tell them "well the American academy of pediatrics recommends at least the first year and the World Health Organization recomends the first two years. I figure this will also make them realize that I am not planning on force-weaning at any point. After all I was still nursed after I was 2.

I act very confident about the fact that I am planning on extended breastfeeding. If you act confidant usually people won't challenge you...

My grandmother lived in Germany back in the 50's and was shocked to see the German women BF'ing their 4 and 5 year-olds. As she said "they'd just walk up and lift up her shirt.."

I feel so much better reading about others who extend the breastfeeding. My son is 25 mnths old and breastfeeds every morning and night. I try not to bring it up with people we know as many just don't understand. As long as he wants it, I have no problem in keeping the breastfeeding going.

My LO is only 8 months old and I am already hearing others say it is time to wean. I do not plan to wean any time soon and it will be her choice when we do wean! Kudos to you all for nursing your LOs and for educating those around you - you make it easier for us other moms who are comming up behind you.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk