Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think I made some breastfeeding mistakes

Unhappy I think I made some breastfeeding mistakes

Hi, my name is Adrianna and I am new to this site. My son is 8 days old today and was born one week early. He was doing ok in the hospital with latching on but his pediatrican wanted me to supplment with formula (not really sure why, didn't think to ask). When we came home he was doing great with latching on and we would only gave him formula until Monday. I have also been pumping and have plenty of milk, I am able to pump about 10 oz in one day with just pumping two or three time a day. Now back to my problems. He seems to prefer my right breast and latches on alot easier with that one than my right. I aslo seem to get more milk out of that one only about an oz more. I have been resorting a bottle of breastmilk a night because he seems to get frustrated to latch on or he is nursing for a good hour if not more and I get so tired so I give in with the bottle. But I think with giving him the bottle he is confused about the nipples. It does about 5 minutes to take the bottle other times its instintance. Now when it comes to my breast it takes about 10-20 minutes to latch on and then he sucks for a few minutes and falls asleep. In the hospital I use to take off the blanket and nurse him in his undershirt, should I be doing that at home all or just have his feet stick out? I also change his diaper before I go to feed him to get him up. He will have spans where he will sleep for 3 hours and I wake him for his feeding and then times durning the day where all he wants to do is eat. I also pump inbetween because I thought my husband could feed him so now I have 10 oz of breastmilk in the fridge that I dont know what to do with and I dont know if I should continiue to pump. So have I ruined breastfeedings days or is their still hope?
    Thanks for your help and sorry it is so long.

Default Re: I think I made some breastfeeding mistakes

Congratulations on the new baby! It sounds like you're doing an awesome job! Already you're pumping more than I could until my daughter was almot 3 months old!

I'm not an expert, but to answer your question, I don't think you've ruined breastfeeding. It sounds like you might have a bit of nipple confusion going on, and just relying on nursing with no bottles for a little while should help straighten that out. If you're still having lots of trouble, a visit with a lactation consultant may help. My daughter went through a phase where it took her up to 10 minutes to latch on sometimes. She also would nurse for hours-long stretches periodically, especially at the end of the day. I confess to giving her a bit of expressed milk or even a bit of formula periodically in the evenings when I was too exhausted and just needed a break. After 2 weeks, when I was a bit healed from my c-section and feeling a little more human, I stopped supplementing and she's been nursing for 11 months now.

I think most breastfed babies do the marathon nursing sessions. It's tiring, but totally normal. It's how they get your milk supply up to where they need it. It does get easier. It was about 1 month for me when I stopped fantasizing about quitting. I'm so glad I stuck it out, though!

Hang in there, the best thing you can do right now is just let your baby nurse as often as he wants. If you're not feeling confident that he's getting enough, just count the wet & poopy diapers. If you're still not feeling confident, the pediatrician will probably do a weight check visit if you want. For me, the doctor telling me all was well made a big difference.

Check back here as often as you need; the ladies on this site are awesome and you'll find LOTS of support.

Thank you for the encourgement. Today so far he pretty good, he latched on even thought it took some time and I had to start on the "easy" breast for him. I dont know why but for some reason he has difficultly on my left breast. He is definitly gaining weight, his cheeks are getting full and I feel like I live at the changing table between wet and dirty diapers. I guess I just have to take it one day at a time.

Im not an expert either, but successfully breastfeeding a baby 9 months and suffering through difficulties in the first 8 weeks makes me confident that you are doing fine. I was exhausted the first 8 weeks and supplemented the first 4 due to pressure from my Dr. and now things are just fine. Hang in there you are doing great!! Keep nursing nursing and nursing some more, it is all you will do! You aren't alone! Most babies / moms have a prefered breast. It was okay for me to nurse off the "favorite" breast first for a while, but once things got settled I switched which breast I started with at each feeding.
    Hang in!
    Congratulations on your baby and for giving your baby the best start!!!

I agree that it sounds like nipple confusion. In no way do I think that you've ruined your breastfeeding days. The nipple is just so much easier for the baby to get milk out of! Your baby uses totally different techniques to get the milk out of a bottle than he would on the breast...the flow is different... it's easy to see why ds would get confused. I would take the bottle away for a while until bf is well established (around 5 -6 weeks). Be prepared for the growth spurt that happens at about 3 weeks (that made me feel like a human pacifier but it didn't last forever) and keep up the good work! It sounds like your son has a very loving mommy! Congrats!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

One thing that can help with the "favourite breast" problem: Give him the other breast, but have him in the same position as for the favourite one. For example, if you usually have him in cradle hold on his favoutire breast, put him in the Rugby hold for the other, so he is still facing the same way. Likewise, if you nurse lying down with the favourite breast at the bottom, don't move him over for the other, but just lean over further so he can reach the top breast (this may be a bit tricky at first). You might trick him into thinking he is still on the favourite breast. Good luck, and try to keep thinking how easy this will be four or five months down the line!