Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DS seems to be eating a lot less...

Question DS seems to be eating a lot less...

Hello, I'm new here. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place so sorry if I was wrong. I have a 7.5 week old boy who up until last week started to change his eating habits. I was feeding 1.5-2 hours, then he started to change to 2-3 hours and then this week he's only breastfeeding every 3 hours during the day and 4 at night (and for only 5-10 minutes on only one breast) ?!?! I noticed this week that his diapers aren't as full when changing them, but I think he's been having at least 6 wet diapers. By all means he is no where near malnurished with the thunder thighs that he has ! I think I have an OALD where it is so painful and when DS removes himself from the breast at that time, my burpcloth is just soaked from how fast the milk comes out. I don't know if he's satisfying himself and that's why he's eating less or if he's going through that nursing strike?! Should I wake him up more? Is it too early for him to be eating so much less? ANY suggestions would be great!!
    Thank you!
    Last edited by mamacons; June 6th, 2007 at 09:02 AM.

Default Re: DS seems to be eating a lot less...

I'm not sure about how long to go between feeding for one that little, but if his diapers look good and his weight gain is good ( stop by the pedi if you're not sure on the weight) he's probably ok. Try going to kellymom.com they have alot of helpful info!

My DS just changed eating habits too! He just turned 7 weeks yesterday, and two days ago, he's been eating ~ every 3 hours during the day, and can go from 10 pm to 4 am. For about a total of 6/7 meals a day. His diapers are wet and heavy, so i'm not too concerned (for now, but I'm debating bringing him in for a weight check). Someone suggested that I just keep DS on the breast a bit longer... I'll wait and see what someone else suggests.

I have a similar issue. My daughter is 7 weeks old. Over the past little while she has changed her eating habits as well, feeding for 5-10 minutes on one breast. She'll pull herself off and comfortably snuggle on my breast for a nap. Sometimes I do whatever I can to wake her up and feed again but this doesn't always work. Other times I change her diaper and she is wide awake again but still not to interesting in feeding more. She still has a good number of soiled and wet diapers a day. I just worry that she's not getting the hind milk she should be getting. I try to put her back on the same breast afterwards.

Now i'm concerned. My ds ate at 10pm last night, and then didn't wake up until this morning (5:30am)!! usually he wakes at 4 am... he only ate for 6 mins this morning, and that's it! His diaper from the 10 pm feed isn't as "wet" as I would like... He now drifted off to sleep! Now I have to weight for two hours before I can call the pedi! This is going to be a long two hours!

I'm not only worried about him gaining weight, now i'm worried about my milk supply! If he's eat less and less, will my milk supply decrease? I tried to pump, but not much came out! help!

It's usual for babies to change their eating habits. A good way to tell if they are eating enough is by their output. 6 wet diapers a day sounds ok to me, and if baby is gaining weight and is alert, healthy and happy, I think you are doing well.

My baby went from eating for an hour to 20 mins to 5 minutes. They become more efficient eaters as they grow. I also remember that after my son's 6th week growth spurt, he ate somewhat less in comparison the following week and seemed to prefer sleeping to eating sometimes.

EvainCananda, pumping is not an accurate way to tell how much milk you are producing. Baby is more efficient than any pump at drawing out milk.
    Last edited by dorothy; June 7th, 2007 at 05:27 AM.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Dont worry .... i had the same problem with my baby. Once I was so worried that i took him to the doc. He advised that babies sometimes do miss feeds. THe importance is that he/she has wet diapers. So i think your baby is fine. RELAX

My son started off only eating from one breast since the beginning, and he still does at 5 months old. He is about 17-18 lbs so I know his weight is not an issue! Like the PP have said, babies change thier eating habits. from what I am told, babies have a growth spurt around 6 weeks so if your baby was eating every 1.5 hours around that age, and a few weeks later is eating about 3 hours, I think that sounds pretty normal. But if you are concerned, it never hurts to check in with your ped.
    and a side note-my best friends baby started sleeping through the night at 8 weeks and he is exclusively breast fed so its not so uncommen for them to go longer periods at night even at that age (although i wish mine would sleep that long!). I think your body adjusts to the change in eating habits so no need to worry! Good luck!!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Thank you all for your help! I appreciate all the input. I'm not going to worry about the feedings anymore...now I have another issue to deal with...Yesterday my little one would not stop crying! He went from being so good and crying only every now and then to crying almost every minute he's awake. I think it was cause he just couldn't get to sleep yesterday and it finally got to the point he was so tired he couldn't stand it anymore. I just wanted to say thank you for your posts I appreciate it!!

Emma is 8 weeks and you describe her to a tee - from the feeding cycles to the thighs, haha. I look forward to reading the posts.