Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I take antibiotic?

Unhappy Should I take antibiotic?

At 3:30 AM last night, I woke up with terrible pain in my R breast. I immediately did warm compression and pumped hoping it will take care of it. However, the pain was getting worse. I was still shivering after 2 blankets and a fleece sweater and my whole body was aching. This morning my temp was 101.5F and I've been taking tyrenols. I don't have redness or heat on my breast. Would it be still Mastitis?

Last month, I had exactly same symptoms. Dr. said it didn't look like Mastitis, and if it was, it would be the beginning of it. She prescribed antibiotic just it case and told I don't need to take it if I feel better which I did.

My temp went down to normal now but I'm still feeling exhausted with headache and body aches. I filled Rx just in case. Should I take antibiotic? or Should I not take it if I feel better?

After last night and today, I'm reconsidering my BF plan. I wanted to continue at least a year (DD's 20wks), but I definately don't want to get Mastitis again.

Default Re: Should I take antibiotic?

I took an antibiotic when I had a mastitis. I would do it again too. That was miserable pain. Your supply may go down a bit while you are on the medication.

I am on antibiotics right now for a sinus infection and get about 1-2 ounces less when i pump at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovebeingmom View Post
    At 3:30 AM last night, I woke up with terrible pain in my R breast. I immediately did warm compression and pumped hoping it will take care of it. However, the pain was getting worse. I was still shivering after 2 blankets and a fleece sweater and my whole body was aching. This morning my temp was 101.5F and I've been taking tyrenols. I don't have redness or heat on my breast. Would it be still Mastitis?
    Pain in the breast, fever, chills, and flu like symptoms are all symptoms of mastitis. La Leche League Leaders are not doctors and cannot diagnose you. Please see your health care provider for a diagnosis.

Last month, I had exactly same symptoms. Dr. said it didn't look like Mastitis, and if it was, it would be the beginning of it. She prescribed antibiotic just it case and told I don't need to take it if I feel better which I did. My temp went down to normal now but I'm still feeling exhausted with headache and body aches. I filled Rx just in case. Should I take antibiotic? or Should I not take it if I feel better?
    Please call your doctor and ask. If she recommends you take the antibiotic, be sure to take the full course.

Here's some helpful information about mastitis and treatment options:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

After last night and today, I'm reconsidering my BF plan. I wanted to continue at least a year (DD's 20wks), but I definately don't want to get Mastitis again.

Here's some information on recurring cases of mastitis, and what you can do to prevent them:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/repeatmastitis.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html

Quote Originally Posted by chargermom View Post
    I took an antibiotic when I had a mastitis. I would do it again too. That was miserable pain. Your supply may go down a bit while you are on the medication.

I am on antibiotics right now for a sinus infection and get about 1-2 ounces less when i pump at work.
    Please note that antibiotics are not known to decrease milk production. But, other medications such as decongestants (psuedoephedrine, for example) are.

It's also important to note that being sick could cause a temporary decrease in production. To head off potential problems, drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration, nurse frequently, and get plenty of rest.

Thanks for the helpful information.

I was debating taking antibiotics because my doc told me I don't need to take them if I feel better next day (when she prescribe Rx at last visit). I felt better so I didn't take any last month.

My symptoms were very similar this time and I was wondering if I should do the same i.e. wait a day and see. I feel much better now, not perfect yet though. Little headache and incredibly tender breast.

Should I still treat it with antibiotics when symptoms are gone? I was fine last month without taking antibiotics. However, if it's bacteria issue I certainly don't want to leave it untreated.

I finally got a call back from a nurse at my Dr. office and now I'm taking antibiotics. Since it is my second time, she said, she would recommend taking medicine even when symptoms are gone.

By the way, has anyone taken Dicloxacillin and had stomach trouble? Some reason, it doesn't agree with my stomach.