Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stressed Out and Feel Bad...

Exclamation Stressed Out and Feel Bad...

My baby is almost 4 weeks old and I exclusively breastfeed. She is really fussy, spits up a lot and seems to have gas. She also has really explosive poop. Does this mean she is allergic to my breast milk? Am I producing too much? All she wants to do is eat sometimes not even two hours apart.

FYI: I had to use a breast shield for the first few weeks and now am able to occassionally get her on the boob directly.

Please give me some advice...I really want to continue to breastfeed but I need some sleep and I don't want my baby to suffer anymore.

Default Re: Stressed Out and Feel Bad...

I have a few questions...

What was your baby's lowest weight? What is her weight now? How many wet and poopy diapers does she have in 24 hours? What color is her poop?

Hi! I just wanted to send you a . Don't know about the fussiness and spitting up, but my LO had some really explosive poops. My favorite was when she was wearing a Green Day "Dookie" onesie at 2 months old. We were on vacation at the grandparents' house. I can't figure out how to rotate the pic, but I hope it makes you .dookie5.jpg
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

I am sorry you are having such a hard time. The frequent feedings might be a growth spurt. Check this out http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html However, my lo fed every 2-3 hrs up until 9 months old.

As for being allergic to your milk, no. Maybe something in your milk. Have you tried an elimination diet? Common allergens are milk, eggs, soy, andpeanuts. If you wanted to, try cutting out those items from your diet all together or one at a time and see if your lo improves. FYI- it can take up to a month to get all the milk protien out of your milk, so If you decide to cut out milk products, do it for atleast a month. I'll try to find you a link about elimination diets. Maybe talk to your ped about it and see if they think it is a good idea.

Here is a good info link on allergies and elimination
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...nsitivity.html

dr sears has some good info on his web site on fussy babies.
    you just might have been blessed with a high needs baby.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post

I have a few questions...

What was your baby's lowest weight? What is her weight now? How many wet and poopy diapers does she have in 24 hours? What color is her poop?
    My baby was born at 6 lbs 5 oz she got down to 5 lbs 8 oz because I had a c-section, my milk did not come in four days and I had an infection had to be put back in the hospital and injected with antibotics. Last time she was weighed she was 7 lobs 6 oz.

She poops with almost every feeding and it is a yellowy brown color.

This morning I pumped, gave her mylicone before her feeding and she still spit up almost all of it.

Thanks.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html Here is a link on spitting up. Maybe your lo has reflux?

Eating every 2 hours or even less at 4 weeks sounds pretty normal to me. My son is 10 weeks and he eats that often still - at least during the day. The fussiness and spitting up could be reflux. My daughter had it and had to be put on thickened milk. My son had it a little bit when he was your baby's age, but he has grown out of it for the most part. try keeping her head elevated for at least 30 minutes after she eats. this will help decrease the spit up. My son's crib is elevated on one side with a phone book under each leg of the crib to keep his head elevated when he sleeps. he is rarely ever laying flat. if he does for too long (even a couple of minutes sometimes), he spits up. My kids' doc says that it is normal for every baby to have some degree of reflux. don't worry...it get's so much easier. I had to exclusively pump in the beginning because my son would not stay awake long enough to eat and because my nipples were so sore. Now, he exclusively nurses. 4 weeks is still so early, even though I'm sure it seems like a long time to you. It will all work out. Good luck!

Just wanted to chime in and say it does get easier the longer you bf! My baby had gas too. The ped recommended I drink lactose free milk. This really helped my DD (although everything I have read states it is the protein in milk and not the lactose that makes babies gassy-lactose free worked for us). I also used mylicon drops. My DD has had explosive poos too. I think it is a right of passage!