Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thermometers

Default Thermometers

I am really confused about which thermometer to use on my 8 week old son. I have the digital ear thermometer, the temporal one and the under arm one. When I take my sons temperature all three give me different readings, I don't know which one to trust. Does anybody know which of these three is the most accurate? Should I buy a digital rectal thermometer? I don't feel confortable using a rectal glass thermometer, they take too long and I don't think my son will stay still for that long. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Thermometers

I have never used any of those on my babies that young. I have an ear thermometer now for my boys, but it says that for children under 2 it does not give an accurate reading.

I would suggest to buy a rectal thermometer. In my experience, those are the most accurate.

Liz

Normal temp for rectal is 99.8 and I think a digital rectal thermometer is easiest and most accurate.

I use a digital under arm thermometer...it works in 30 seconds..

Our ped told us that it is best to use take the rectal temp with young babies. We also have a digital ear thermometer. A normal temp for the ear is 97 (possibly point something, I can't remember exactly). We use a igital thermometer for the rectal temp.

most moms find that they don't need to take breastfeed babies temp very often as they realy don't get sick.
    heres some good info on fevers from dr sears.. it talks about thermometers down twards the bottom of the page
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082100.asp

I have a digital rectal from vics that takes 30 sec. It is great. He hasnt had a temp yet, but when I get nervous, it is easy to use
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!