Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cleaning of accessories between pumping sessions

Default Cleaning of accessories between pumping sessions

I just started going back to work and want to pump constantly as I have a decreased milk supply. Having my own office, I would be able to do this.
    If I pumped for about 20 minutes every hour, do I need to clean my breastshields and pump parts between pumping sessions?

I thought that I could carry an extra storing bottle and keep transfering the pumped milk into it. I read that breastmilk lasts at cool room temp. for about 10 hours. What about the pump accessories? Or do they have risk of bacteria growth?

Default Re: Cleaning of accessories between pumping sessions

do you have access to a fridge?
    some moms keep their part in the fridge between pumpings and then clean them once at home.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine7 View Post
    I just started going back to work and want to pump constantly as I have a decreased milk supply. Having my own office, I would be able to do this.
    If I pumped for about 20 minutes every hour, do I need to clean my breastshields and pump parts between pumping sessions?

I thought that I could carry an extra storing bottle and keep transfering the pumped milk into it. I read that breastmilk lasts at cool room temp. for about 10 hours. What about the pump accessories? Or do they have risk of bacteria growth?
    You might risk bacteria growth but I can't confirm that. I keep bottles at work and horns at work, which I wash in the morning. I rather not carry them home everyday. You can also get another cooler bag and keep the pump accessories in there if you rather not want to keep them in the office fridge.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I use rinse my pump parts with water and then wipe them down with those medela quick clean wipes. Sometime i will just rinse them and then use those micro steam bags also by medela. You could try one of those two options.

I've worked and pumped twice a day for 6 months now. I DO NOT want to rinse my parts in a bathroom sink. gross. And I also don't want to go to our breakroom and do it as various employees look on. I am very proud that I breastfeed but let's face it, co-workers can be especially annoying.

Also, I know they sell "cleaning wipes" but whatever chemicals (I suspect mostly alcohol) are in those I do not want contaminating my milk.

Anyway, since breastmilk is ok at room temperature for at least 4 hours then why can't the pump parts be? BM has natural antibodies in it that stop the growth of bacteria anyway. We need to quit thinking of it as cow's milk (which, when pastuerized, kills all that natural bacteria causing it too spoil faster).

Here's what I do: I have an insulated lunch bag with a frozen gel pack, I put my parts into a ziploc bag (to keep milk from dripping out of the parts and making everything sticky) and I put the bag of parts in with the milk and it's all kept cold.

i used to pump 3x a day at work. i'd wrap up my breastshields in papertowel and them put them in a gallon ziploc, then i'd put that in a plastic bag...and the entire thing goes in the fridge at work. i'd either bring them home at the end of the day to clean and then bring back to work, or clean them at work and use the medela micro steam bags.
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches